back to basic food

• 15 Replies

muntjac

back to basic food
« on: November 07, 2006, 13:39 »
ok so i am cooking bacon bones up so what ?, fresh from morrisons 19 p fer a blooming big tray . also using a lb pack of country soup mixed pulses lentils n barley stuff. gonna throw a few beef sausages chopped up into 1 inch pieces and a few floaters . a bit of brown sauce  and gravy thickener then a few lumps tater n carrot some celery all  got from the plot  and i got me the makings of a feast like my mom would turn out on a winters day . am i being old fashoined in using bacon bones  as i havent seen them on sale in any other shops supermarket in yrs and that includes butchers ? comments on a plate with some fresh bread buns please,,,, where the hell is proper food nowadays anyway ?
still alive /............

James

• Experienced Member
back to basic food
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 17:25 »
I've never seen them for sale.  

My favourite things are: ox tail, shin, liver (calves is best), heart (we always have it for Valentine's), kidney (beef is favourite), testicles (Clarrissa Dixon Wright's great recipe 'bollocks to Blair'), lamb neck - anything that's cheap, tough, and cooks for hours, really - or offally cheap and cooks very quickly.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
back to basic food
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 19:13 »
My wife would get a gold medal in bargain hunting so we have had an entire chateaubriand reduced from £28 to £4.00 which I cooked with a bearnaise sauce and it was great.
We also had lamb shanks in a stew and I'm hard pressed to say which was best.
Nothing wrong with cheap cuts cooked well.  We eat far too much meat  and using it as a flavouring is probably much better for you as well.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Novice

• Experienced Member
back to basic food
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 15:23 »
I've found Morrisons butchers to be superb for odd things like bacon bones, and pig skin.
We make our own pork scratchings.....we're just like Tom and Barbara Good  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
back to basic food
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 15:40 »
Val likes Morrisons as well - customer loyalty she never had. But Sainsbury apply bogoff to offers so they paid us to take away packs of best ham. At negative 19p per pack, the cats are getting treated.
Tesco is in the town and she who must be obeyed says the Poles grab all the bargains.
Mid December we'll be engaging in a Viking raid on France and Belgium planned with military precision.  Arrive Boulogne at 17.05, Arrive Adenkerke at 16.05. Withdraw from Adenkerke loaded with baccy at 16.15 and establish base camp at Boulogne B&B 17.20.  Make a sally into targets of opportunity like Auchan & Intermarche before some R&R at the Buffalo Grill.
Next morning, attack  Sainsbury and Tesco before the major push into Carrefour. More R&R at Flunch with me allowed a little wander around Leroy Merlin before retreating from France back to Dover after refueling at City Europe.

supersprout

• Experienced Member
back to basic food
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 23:36 »
did ox cheek slowly in the oven with white wine, onion, and pot herbs. Gorgeous :D  Leftovers will go in ravioli :D  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: back to basic food
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 23:45 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
ok so i am cooking bacon bones up so what ?, fresh from morrisons 19 p fer a blooming big tray . also using a lb pack of country soup mixed pulses lentils n barley stuff. gonna throw a few beef sausages chopped up into 1 inch pieces and a few floaters . a bit of brown sauce  and gravy thickener then a few lumps tater n carrot some celery all  got from the plot  and i got me the makings of a feast like my mom would turn out on a winters day . am i being old fashoined in using bacon bones  as i havent seen them on sale in any other shops supermarket in yrs and that includes butchers ? comments on a plate with some fresh bread buns please,,,, where the hell is proper food nowadays anyway ?

A couple of leeks would be a good addition  :D

muntjac

back to basic food
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 23:51 »
thts for another day when i do my leek and lamb stew :wink:

hayles62

• Experienced Member
back to basic food
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 07:16 »
When I cook Liver everyone leaves so I try and have it at least once a week :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
back to basic food
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 09:22 »
Liver and onions with mashed potatoes and runner beans - yum yum yum

2 day lobby and lancashire hot pot score high.

Our most thumbed cookbook is Parkinson Cowan Perfect Cooking from 1955. Before food got fussy and fancy. Gift from my Mum who thought boys should be able to cook.

noshed

back to basic food
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 10:01 »
Mince cooked with liver, tomatoes and chopped bacon for a long time. It gets all rich and tasty.
And cheap lamb cooked for about 3 hours with anchovies - fantastic. Apparently you're supposed to use samphire but anchovies do - the salt I suppose, not the weird similarity between a small fish and a plant.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

muntjac

back to basic food
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 11:38 »
a great  wedge of ox liver on a bed of shallots just cut in half frying slowly in a cast iron pan and then a half pint of real gravy poured over and bubbled slowly , mashed tatter a knob of real irish butter dripping down ya mash n some french climbing beans , eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh get that down ya neck ,  dam im a real good pan shaker on my day  :wink:

milkman

back to basic food
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 13:36 »
eggy bread and ketchup. yum.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Annie

back to basic food
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 12:45 »
How about a simple sunday roast.Glouster Old Spot pork rolled shoulder and a selection of veg. from the garden followed by apple crumble,apples from the tre.And what is best, cooked by the OH who then takes the afternoon off and walks the dog 3 miles to the nearest pub....I might just have a little glass of wine while I wait.
  I have to admit I hadn`t  trid asking our butcher for bacon bones,they do their own bacon so I could be onto a winner.My mum used to cook them up with split peas and barley,yum.

muntjac

back to basic food
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 12:50 »
on me way annie  :lol:  :wink:

xx
basic food hygiene certificate

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 07, 2010, 12:19
by chrissie B
xx
Basic pickling question

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post June 24, 2007, 10:49
by WG.
xx
Preserving Food

Started by lesley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 19:32
by Trillium
xx
Food Mixer

Started by Eblana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 16:57
by joyfull

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.