Potentilla Hardiness?

• 2 Replies

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Potentilla Hardiness?
« on: January 09, 2019, 22:01 »
Hi.

Amongst other plugs I invested in some Potentilla plug plants which arrived in early September.  When they arrived I potted all the plants up into 1 litre pots and they grew on happily.  All plants were doing well and had doubled or tripled in size.

Now I have lots of plants that still look fine although struggling for light as you would expect at this time of year apart from the potentilla.  They have lost lots of leaf and looked like they were on their way out.  Just a tiny bit of green left.

I've moved them to a heated greenhouse and they are definitely picking up after being in there for a couple of weeks.

So the major scare of losing them all seems for now to be averted.  But the query is that when looking at RHS etc advice is that they are supposed to be extremely hardy so my question is why did they do so badly as against the other plants which were not rated to be as hardy.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Adri
Peak Hives

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Potentilla Hardiness?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 22:19 »
Potentilla fruticosa, which is the usual variety in the UK, is fully hardy and deciduous.  It's therefore supposed to lose its leaves at this time of year, and probably doesn't need to be coddled in a heated greenhouse, I think.

Here's an article which may be helpful: https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/shrub/potentilla.php   
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Re: Potentilla Hardiness?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:04 »
Thanks Yorkie.

What worried me was that they were still only small plants that possibly didn't have the reserves that an adult plant would have to survive long periods of low light and cold.

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 43 queries.