Hazelnut advice + suppliers

• 7 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Hazelnut advice + suppliers
« on: November 07, 2013, 21:50 »
Ive been thinking about getting hazlenut. I did do some research a few months ago but was wondering what people could say about experience with suppliers, price, cropping etc. Might be asking a lot...
Cheers,
Balders

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hazelnut advice + suppliers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 22:19 »
Don't know about the particular questions you raise, but I did a walk of my site at the weekend in order to list the trees which were getting (or had got  :ohmy: ) out of control. There were a fair few hazels on the list by the end ... they really can get quite big and not entirely appropriate on allotment for that reason.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

andyswarbs

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 22:24 »
Amongst other trees we planted 7 hazelnuts 2 years ago from Nicholson's in Oxfordshire.  We got a first very small crop off them this year.  All are doing fine, indeed very well with good vigorous growth.  That is except a purple hazelnut which we are taking more care over to help nurse it along.  Our guess is it was nibbled by deer and/or frostbite in its first winter.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 14:40 »
You might be better to find some Kentish cob nuts. These are better than the ordinary hazel as the nuts are bigger.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 18:27 »
Bear in mind that squirrels love them and will bury them all over your garden/plot and you will be pulling out young tree shoots for ever- I know. I've pulled out 167 over the past two years. They are my neighbours trees and never get pruned, wind direction means they lean over my fence and drop all the nuts on my side so I can gather them up but six trees produce more than I and the squirrels can eat.

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 18:48 »
We have 5 , 7 year old cobnuts, but they are not so big(2metresx1.5metres). The first four years we had them in really poor soil and they didn't thrive. We have moved them to a better spot and they are growing away well now.
We had a really good crop considering their size last year. But this year I think the weather has scuppered the crop almost entirely.
The trees doing the best are the 'Butler', and the 'Kentish Cob'.

Have you looked here?

http://www.kentishcobnutsassociation.org.uk/technical-information.aspx

Nick
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 18:16 »
wondering what people could say about experience with suppliers

I have bought Cobnut plants from:

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/searchproduct?keyword=hazel&flag=all

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Other_Fruit___Nuts_24.html#aHAZN1

http://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/Hazelnut+and+Filbert+Trees/0_caaa100_caaa152.htm

as I wanted to build up a collection of different varieties.  THere are a variety of Prices & Plant Sizes available :)

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 19:32 »
I got mine from http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/cobnuts-hazels-filberts-walnuts/
Great place to visit, they have an amazing citrus collection.
 :)

xx
Hazelnut Weevil (again)

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2018, 21:44
by Deborah1
xx
Hazelnut pest

Started by earthmother_tillou on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 22:53
by wighty
xx
Hazelnut care. To prune or not to prune?

Started by louisemasters on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2021, 18:55
by Yorkie
xx
Suppliers

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 17:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 39 queries.