Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?

• 71 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:17 »
29C here in Sheffield yesterday (84F in old money), and likely to be similar today.  8)

I find it takes me about a week to acclimatise to high temperatures, by which time British heat waves are usually over...  ::)

Only gardening for the last few days has been early morning and evening, the rest of the time I'm hiding indoors trying hard not to wish for something a bit cooler...  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:31 »
Heatwave ? Pah! 8)
I'm enjoying it while it lasts, only a few more days according to MetO - thunder forecast for the weekend, I believe :(
I haven't looked this healthy for years  :D although I do avoid sitting outside around midday other than that I love it. It's just a shame I can't use a hose on the allotment, watering with a can is a PITA or for me in my back   ::)

madcat

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:40 »
After the looooooong, cold, miserable winter I can't complain about blue skies and sunshine.  I'm fair, but that is just an excuse to give my hat collection an airing and get outside! 

I will grant that I am oh so glad not to be commuting into London any more.  That was and will be complete and utter hell ...  particularly on the Central Line.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 11:45 »
Your years spent living in Greece must have given you permanent immunity to the heat Mum!  ;)

(Sometimes I wonder whether I really am a proper orangutan!  :lol:)

Madcat - for the last 10 years before retirement I used to commute to and from York by train - I can barely bring myself to remember what it was like to be jammed into a late-running train with the air-conditioning broken and no windows to open.  :ohmy:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 12:16 »
everything that isn't vital (which was all of it) I have cancelled.  I do like the hot weather, but I don't want to be pressurised into going out.
Some things in my garden are starting to burn up now, so I am trying to move them into the shady areas (which are few) or provide some shading for others.
The ground is rock solid and very cracked.  But please can we just have the nice fine rain from midnight to 6am.  That will be ideal.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 12:28 »
I have just come back from The Patch, having taken seven gals of water down in the car. One of the IBCs has sprung a leak, and we're down to the last 10" on the other one already!

Trickle irrigation time for the forseeable future...

Got a nice new sprinkler rigged up at home though, up on a pole in the middle of the veg patch, so it can 'waft' everywhere very slowly!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 12:31 »
I used to love hot weather but now I tend to only go outside if I have to, such as late evening when it's cooling down.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 13:36 »
I could feel myself melting yesterday.  :nowink:  The sand pit is now a desert. I've lost 2 well established blueberry bushes in 50l pots, even watering twice a day they have gone crispy. I venture out in the morning and late at night - you know the time when everything is out to bite you  ::)

I do actually have one of those portable air-con units, the type you hang the hose out the window but given my last leccy bill it's going to have to stay turn off.

Roll on Sunday.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 16:03 »
Loving this hot weather, and all the fun that goes with it; drinks, bbqs and 'having to' go to the plot to water my withering specimens...

I'm one of those with a long commute to London by train, thankfully no tubes though. The lengthy journeys give me plenty of time to procrastinate, and research/plan my growing for next year!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 16:42 »
I used to love hot weather but now I tend to only go outside if I have to, such as late evening when it's cooling down.

That's exactly how I feel. I used to be out in it all the time, but I now have the sun-damage brown marks on my face, hands and arms.
So like you I shall be creeping out later with the water cans.   8) 8) 8) Mrs Bouquet

Edited to fix quote.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 17:11 by JayG »

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 19:02 »
I love to see the hot, sunny weather when we are lucky enough to get it, but, unfortunately, I can't go out in it.  I just end up in a soggy sweaty heap, with my hair looking as if I've just got out of the shower, and feeling really sick.  I really envy those who can go out in it and enjoy it, but I have to either go out very early in the morning, or later in the evening. 
Anything above 22 degrees just floors me, but I do like to see other folk enjoying themselves, so make the most of it, those of you who can, and I'll just sit this one out until the temperature is a little cooler.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 21:22 »
lovely weather as long as you can chose to be in or out of the sun,
unfortunately  I have to work and my shop does not have any air conditioning.
29 the last 2 days!

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 07:22 »
No !!!! what are they doing? The ½ inch of rain on Sunday and soggy week has gone, replaced with sunshine  :ohmy: just possible showers Wednesday afternoon. We really need rain, my plants are thirstier than a rugby team on a stag night.  :nowink:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 09:00 »
I'm coping - just - with the heatwave. What's flooring me is the hayfever. Between tree and grass throwing pollen into the air my days and nights are spent with itching eyes and blocked nose. A decent night's sleep would make all the difference.

At least the greenhouse shading wasn't a waste of time after all.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 09:11 »
I'm another lover of the glorious sunshine, and accept that if we are to eat fresh fruit & veg it takes even more effort than normal to keep things going, mainly early in the morning or during the evening, when there are lots of us out on the plots on our site
We have a few shady spots in which to sit if things get too hot in the middle of the day, where we can sit and watch the wildlife. Love it!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Enjoying autumn sunshine

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 14:40
by snowdrops
xx
Enjoying the fruits of your labours

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 15:50
by sunshineband
xx
What was your weather like

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 11:06
by Goosegirl
xx
What's the weather like where you are? 2022

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

1542 Replies
Last post December 31, 2022, 17:04
by wighty

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 55 queries.