hubby says yay

• 8 Replies

titch

hubby says yay
« on: January 18, 2009, 21:27 »
I have mooted the idea of chickens since we turned our garden over to veggies, and have gently dropped chickens inot the conversation here and there  :lol: (aslo wasnt sure if it was ok with cats but it would appear that chickens can take care of themsevles with cats)
when i mentioned it this weekend hubby said yes, that might be good :D ( by the way i take this as a yes!!!!!!)

Not rushing into this, as i need to read up, talk to people (bloke down the road got some very fine ones, will seek him out) build a house, research types, save the cash to do all this too

The thing is i have no grass in my garden anymore, only veggie beds and gravel - i know enough to know chooks like to scrabble around in the ground so any ideas how i can remedy this?
Thank you
just keep breathing................

titch

hubby says yay
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 21:53 »
oops just realised this should be in the hen house - sorry, i have pmd moderator to ask if it can be moved
new to chicken part of site, (making an excuse for my total ditzyness)
apologies

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
hubby says yay
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:34 »
Not sure I am the best person to answer your main query, but I can help with the cats situation.  I have 2 cats and 6 chickens and was worried what the outcome might be.

I needn't have worried as they really do just ignore each other, although when I take a sneaky peek out the window I do sometimes spot Hattie (cat) following the chooks around.  I think she is secretly trying to make friends  :lol:
Emma

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
hubby says yay
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:38 »
Hello Titch. In cats -v- chickens in our garden, chickens win every time.  Also in chickens -v- veg patch, chickens win every time.  You are going to need to fence off precious veggies to prevent them being scratched up.  Last year, we put a two foot high plastic mesh around our veg plot, and then covered everything with a great deal of wire netting which kept them off.  Also, the greenhouse was off limits.  That said, ours don't free range much because of the elderly and infirm cats... (whose garden it is really).

As for gravel, they will love scratching that up and digging holes in your paths to have dustbaths!  

If I were you I would build a run rather than have them free ranging.  Ours are quite happy in their run, so long as they have an absolute minimum of 1 sq m per bird and preferably plenty more.

Finally, chickens are GREAT!!  You will never look back and you will end up with far more than you intended.  :D
Sue

Debbie D

hubby says yay
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 14:11 »
Don't worry about the lack of grass, our chikens have completely decimated ours but they are quite happy just scratching around under hedges, in the rockery etc. As long as you give them some greens to supplement their diet they will be fine and the yolks of their eggs will be a lovely deep yellow colour.  I am trying to limit the time ours free range as I would eventually like to have some grass again, they have plenty of room in their run but they complain loudly when they see you if they are kept in it all day.  You shouldn't have any problem with cats either, our cat is scared of them and the other neighbourhood cats have never really shown any interest in them.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
hubby says yay
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 08:16 »
As Debbie says really.

Also, a lot of people put bark chippings down so as the mud doesn't appear and create a slipping hazard to us humans (chooks like it when I fall over and throw the food up in the air)!

Even if you did have grass it would be gone in max 2 weeks :!:

Sassy

hubby says yay
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 17:19 »
I know what you mean having been on my backside a couple of times already this winter!! Then my husband howls at the tell tale mud on my jeans :oops:

I'm sure I have read that bark chippings should not be used due to spores it can contain that will harm the chooks. However, if I remember right wood chippings are fine.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
hubby says yay
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 17:48 »
I have lots of beech leaves that get dumped in the run - mayhem ensues. The hens are quite convinced that any solid item has a worm hiding under it. If - when! - I spill wood shavings they scratch that like mad too, but not in the house...
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

titch

hubby says yay
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 22:56 »
thank you all, quite glad i dont have any grass then!!
thanks for your help, i am sure i will pop in again when the time gets closer!

xx
NO we do NOT WANT hens Hubby said....

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 15:08
by tetley

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 38 queries.