More bum problems

• 5 Replies

Prod

More bum problems
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:34 »
I posted a few days ago about my ancona's bald bum. I used purple spray and she had 3 antibiotic injections. I havent seen any of the other birds, or her,pecking her bum and no loose feathers anywhere,  but the feathers arent growing back.  The feathers above her tail seem 'fluffier'  than her other feathers, like the down is showing.  I have dusted her with diatom, and she has vermx and ACV along with the others.I have checked her for mites etc but cant't see anything, however I notice an unusual 'nodule' above her tail .  It is pink, about  a cm long and rounded at the top, like a matchstick.  It is not sore or bleeding and doesnt seem to cause her any pain. Any suggestions what it is or why her feathers areny growing back?  Other than that she appears healthy, laying, eating & pooing ok. Thanks

kegs

Re: More bum problems
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:42 »
Nothing to worry about - the nodule is their preen gland.  ;)

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:44 »
and if the feathers don't come back soon...they should return after her annual moult
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Prod

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:45 »
D'OH :blush:

kegs

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:10 »

No D'OH's on here.  You'd be surprised how many chicken owners haven't noticed the preen gland.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:26 »

No D'OH's on here.  You'd be surprised how many chicken owners haven't noticed the preen gland.

I haven't seen it on mine but I know it is there as I have read about it on here.  Can just see it on a couple of my chicks as they are getting their feathers.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Problems between no 3 and no 2

Started by rosegarden on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 22:53
by grinling
xx
im having problems

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 14:49
by Roughlee Handled
xx
egg problems

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 22:16
by Aunt Sally
question
Still having problems.....

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 21:47
by Chuckles

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 38 queries.