Organic pest control

• 16 Replies

Rhuby

Organic pest control
« on: May 19, 2006, 18:06 »
Hello veg mates
This my first attempt at growing veg! I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster, one day all is well and the next I feel like reaching for the grass seed.
I keep reading about allsorts of products for pests but I'm unsure which are worth using and if they are considered organic?
Was excited to be eating homegrown radishes but not the homegrown maggots!!
Any advice appreciated thanks  :mrgreen: Rhuby
(praying for some sun)
Organic

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Organic pest control
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 00:18 »
Hi Rhuby
Don't despair! Good healthy plants will resist most pests. If they're not good enough for the bugs to eat, do you want to eat them?

Slugs and snails are the worst beasties, but you can get various slug traps and even safe pellets that harm neither enaimals nor the soil.

You do need to accept some losses when you grow - thats why nature gives all those seeds, Is there a specific crop giving you problems?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Re: Organic pest control
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 22:30 »
Quote from: "Rhuby"
Hello veg mates
This my first attempt at growing veg! I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster, one day all is well and the next I feel like reaching for the grass seed.
I keep reading about allsorts of products for pests but I'm unsure which are worth using and if they are considered organic?
Was excited to be eating homegrown radishes but not the homegrown maggots!!
Any advice appreciated thanks  :mrgreen: Rhuby
(praying for some sun)

Ive grew my radish in window boxes (bout 4ft long and 1ft wide) sprinkled seed in, thinned out and ive ate my first today :) i put vaseline round the outside of the tub so slugs/snails cant attack them :)
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

Rhuby

Organic pest control
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 14:40 »
Thanks for your interest, I think i'm back on track now, and what will be will be and what gets eaten gets eaten!!(whether its by me or by bugs!!)

Iv'e got all the usual veg and also trying my luck with aubergines, although they're very slow growing plants at the mo.

It's exciting to pick a leaf of rocket from my own garden and i'm transported back to my travels last year, its amazing how a flavour can bring back great memories!!!

Waiting for a clear day now to plant my sprouts and brocoli (they are so desperate to make it to the land of bugs!!

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Organic pest control
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 16:18 »
A quick question John with ref to safe pellets

>Slugs and snails are the worst beasties, but you can get various slug traps
>and even safe pellets that harm neither enaimals nor the soil.

What are they called and where did you get them Thanks

Cheers
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Organic pest control
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 16:35 »
the safer ones are called ADVANCED SLUG KILLER
from organic catalogue's description: "Safe for children and pets, birds, hedgehogs and other wildlife - killing only slugs and snails.
After remaining effective for several weeks in both wet and dry conditions, the pellets based on ferrous phosphate will break down to iron and phosphate nutrients as part of garden soil."
You can buy them cheaper at Homebase than what organic catalogue has them for and you don't have to wait so long either. The only disadvantage is that you can only use them 3 times a season (what's a season?! it doesn't say!) I assume that's due to the fertilizer aspect of it - you don't want too much iron or phosphate in your soil. Seems to work pretty well for me so far and doesn't leave dead/dying slug bodies everywhere either.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Organic pest control
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 19:17 »
But the Organic Catalogue supports the HDRA whereas Homebase supports its shareholders.  Don't forget HDRA members get 10% off at the Organic Catalogue as well.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Organic pest control
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 12:34 »
Thanks to Heather_S and John for the info

BillinPA

Organic Slug / Snail Control
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 13:04 »
I know this question has been posted for a while - But I just recently joined the Allotment Forum.  Here's a couple of ideas used here in the US:

1. Slugs and snails don't like copper, they are repelled by it - I guess it's the electrolytic properties.  Anyway, used copper flashing or sheeting can be cut into 1" to 2" wide strips and anchored to the edges of raised beds, window boxes, etc. - or wider strips can be layed on the ground (anchored of course) around the perimeter of the planting area.  It does work - but if nothing else it looks good!!  Rummage around your recyclers or construction sites for scraps.

2. Stale beer.  Put a pie tin or other shallow dish in the ground so that the rim is even with the ground level.  Fill it with stale (flat) beer, the hops smell attracts them and they will drown. What a way to go....  The problem is  - who has stale beer?  and you need check and empty it daily of the pickled ones!

Happy Slugging :)
Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

Bill in PA

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Re: Organic Slug / Snail Control
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 13:24 »
Quote from: "BillinPA"
Slugs and snails don't like copper, they are repelled by it

I've seen copper tape for sale on line at greengardener.co.uk for exactly this purpose, but builders merchants may have it as well (and cheaper). It's been used on roof ridges because it stops moss build-up on the slates; rain dissolves the copper slightly as it runs over it, creating a dilute copper solution which runs down the roof. Ships used to be 'copper bottomed' (hence a sound investment for insurers) because it would deter wood boring worms etc.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Organic pest control
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 14:15 »
Poshbins, who is on our allotment site, cuts sheets of copper up and makes slug protection rings. I understand the cost is minimal compared to buying them.

hermon

Organic pest control
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 19:48 »
i've tried copper and it did nothing :?

toto691

Organic pest control
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 22:23 »
To protect against slugs and snails i use my failsafe method that unless theyre REALLY stupid doesnt harm anything!

Under rims of pots, boxes, even bricked areas with a slight overhang i paint liquid latex underneath, and before it sets to rubber i throw salt granules onto it. This forms a barrier that as long as its covered by an overhang the rain will never wash off. Slugs and snails go up to it, and at the slightest whiff of it they stop and choose a different route!
When you want rid of it - say at the end of the season, simply pull it of and the whole thing will peal away.

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Organic pest control
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 08:40 »
Brilliant. Perfect example of why I joined this site. :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Organic pest control
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 15:25 »
What a clever toto!!!!

xx
Organic Pest Control The American Way Is It A Gimmick?

Started by SamanthaBewley on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 02:58
by Trillium
xx
Diatomaceous Earth as pest control

Started by Superhero on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 07:15
by arugula
clip
What pesky pest is this??

Started by rookie1 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 08:42
by rookie1
xx
pest sprays

Started by stan deakin on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 21:58
by grinling

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.