Which Pig?

• 32 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Which Pig?
« on: November 15, 2010, 21:54 »
Ok, this is so far advanced planning it is well in the realms of day dreams at the moment but I know when I get our smallholding, whenever that is we will get pigs. Much to Nick's bemusement I also know which I want and am absolutely determined I want Oxford Sandy and Blacks. They are a rare breed, apparently a good docile breed for beginners and a traditional smallholder breed. Oh and very pretty and not pink (memories of people talking of having to put suncream on their pigs ears as they got sunburnt and life is too short!).

What are other peoples dream pig (or animal of any breed for that matter)?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

digalotty

Re: Which Pig?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 16:43 »
my mate had a pot belly pig as a pet for years , it lived in the house and was very clean
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

rach312

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 19:39 »
Hi ive got 2 kune kune pigs they are so friendly but noisy lol well the one is he squeals when he wants something hes like a child lol

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 22:12 »
Ooh, I love pigs.  I think there's something very appealing about Tamworths.

The pig pens are one of the first places I head to at shows  :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 22:15 »
Tamworths are ok but a bit thin and wiry.  The best for flavour is a saddleback in my opinion. 8)
Cheese makes everything better.

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 22:22 »
Porco Preto Alentejano - fed on wild acorns - great meat, exquisite hams

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 22:35 »
LOVE saddlebacks!  I think they are absolutely beautiful and really friendly  :D x
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 06:46 »
Porco Preto Alentejano - fed on wild acorns - great meat, exquisite hams

Are these easy to get hold of for rearing in the UK?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 18:09 »
Tamworths are ok but a bit thin and wiry.  The best for flavour is a saddleback in my opinion.

I know, I know but there's just something I love about them.  :blink: I'm happy to just look and admire them at shows.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 18:33 »
And who can forget the Tamworth Two? :D

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 18:40 »
Very true!

Swing Swang

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 17:35 »
Argillie - haven't the foggiest, but it would be a great reason to emegrate to Portugal.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 12:32 »
well I had been mulling over getting a couple of sheep but everybody keeps telling me to have pigs first as they are easier than lambs. I thought Jimbo my OH would object but he has even told his mate we are having pigs even before I had made up my mind  :lol:
So I now need to spend the next year deciding which breed - it must be a rare breed not a modern breed (for maximum flavour) and learning how to care for them. I learn better by being shown rather than reading so have got to find somebody to teach me - is there anybody on here who lives Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire or even Cambridgshire who would be prepared to offer to part with their knowledge and let me come and pet their piggies please?
OH has even offered to build me a pig sty or two (he wants to build brick ones - like the old fashioned ones but I'm not too sure whether the modern ark style would be better).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 13:14 »
Ooh, what a lovely dilema to have to ponder.   ;)

I've been reading the Country Smallholding magazine only today and there was an article on pig housing - one was just showing photographs of a sty where a boar had given himself a good scratch and ended up coming through the breeze block! Apparently hollow blocks with metal rods for reinforcement and then backfilled with concrete is best to prevent this apparently.
The other article was regarding housing pigs over winter - if this will apply to you?  Either good insulation in or around your sty or better still, bring them indoors as the love their creature comforts (I love pigs more and more when I read things like this  :D).

I do wish we had a bit of a small holding as I would love to expand on the chickens and the veggie growing.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 13:28 »
thanks for that FL I will go and buy that magazine later today. I aim to take the best part of the next year learning as much as I can before taking the plunge (I do so hate it when people get livestock on a whim without thinking things through it is so unfair on the animals). I have the use of a butcher so that part is taken care of (only getting pigs to feed us and not for sale). I have just spent the last couple of hours viewing breeds and have changed my mind about 6 times already  :lol:

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 38 queries.