how do you grow and get plenty of strawberry's .

• 8 Replies

LILLILEAF

how do you grow and get plenty of strawberry's .
« on: June 18, 2018, 22:22 »
I have a few dozen strawberry plants some are in the ground others are in hanging baskests,but we only seem to get the odd handful,not enough to do any thing like jam or strawberry ice cream.
 Am i buying the wrong ones to grow and produce fruit.

grinling

Re: how do you grow and get plenty of strawberry's .
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 22:38 »
mine are mainly from last years runners. polytunnel was quite wet and still is a bit damp.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 22:44 »
What I want to know is how to set up a hydroponics DIY system.  Why can't we home growers emulate what the commercial folk do?

Adri

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 23:04 »
John has some good advice on growing strawberries:

Growing Strawberries - How to Grow Strawberries - Allotment & Gardens

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 15:44 »
Lillileaf, did you get plenty of flowers and now not all that much fruit?. If so, it could be that the fruits are being stolen as soon as they swell but are still green… voles! They can tunnel up under nets too

We grow our strawberries in long troughs, which stay out on the plot until all the flowers have been fertilised and then they come into the polytunnel to let the fruits fully develop and ripen. When they have finished fruiting, they go back outside again, with a little Blood Fish & Bone tickled into the soil surface. After three years they go in the compost. There is a succession of plants from runners as replacements... I need to remember to label them though, as we have several varieties that fruit at different times

Hope that helps a bit... until we adopted this method we had a measly harvest very year, which was very dispiriting
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 22:07 »
we set our new strawberry bed two yeas ago because the other bed was getting tired how we set ours up was obviously cultivate the bed first adding well rotted cow manure then covering the hole are with grown cover breathable sheeting

we then cut holes in the sheeting and planted the strawberry plants at the appropriate distance and I have to say the second season has produced loads of good sized strawberries variety Cambridge very please with the cropping this year  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 12:43 »
My OH took over our strawberry growing last year and planted the new ones (Elegance) in troughs which certainly prevents them getting nibbled by slugs and snails. He followed James Wong's feeding advice and uses a solution of dilute molasses every now and then. As we haven't grown these before, whether it's that or what but they sure taste good!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 12:39 »
Strawberry plants don't produce heavy crops in their 1st year, but they should pick up over the next 2 or 3 years, lots of busy leafage sprouting from the centres. I've had a small clutch of strawbs from my 6 plants  (in hanging baskets) but the Cambridge Favourites have sent out runners so they're going to be next years hatchlings, the ones I've got will be kept for 3 years on a 4 yr rotation. Hopefully this approach will keep me in strawberries for years to come...

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 22:50 »
I bought some perpetual fruiting strawberries as small plants back in March/April and planted two in each 10" square pot with a mixture of Lidl compost and a bit of soil from the garden. They're fruiting heavily now with big fruit and more flowers coming. Very impressed with them. I also got some early ones and planted them out on the allotment, but nipped out the flowers on these as they are growing more slowly in open ground and didn't need the fruit this year as I still have the old bed in production. Look very nice healthy plants now despite the lack of rain.

I suspect the heavy clay soil with plenty of nutrients in it is what strawbs prefer. What's your soil like?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 22:53 by Nobbie »

xx
Clearing a strawberry patch- how do I grow runners on?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2017, 19:00
by snowdrops
xx
turnips of plenty

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 08, 2022, 16:16
by Snow
xx
Sub Atctic Plenty Tom's

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 20:27
by pumpkin-queen
xx
New allotment -plenty of bricks where's my soil?!!

Started by Odders on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 28, 2023, 10:37
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 38 queries.