Seeds in too early

• 11 Replies

bertiewhite

Seeds in too early
« on: April 18, 2012, 13:21 »
This the first time I've ever had a greenhouse and mistakenly thought that "sowing indoors" meant I could sow in the (unheated) greenhouse. Some stuff has come up but others such as cucumbers & tomatoes haven't. If I leave the seeds will they eventually show when it's warm enough & the time is right or will they rot? If I do the same outside, will seeds sowed too early just lay dormant until the time is right or will they "die"?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Seeds in too early
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 13:24 »
That's a difficult one, cos some seeds will just wait until it's warmer and some just rot in the soil :(

Your tomatoes may very well come up later, but may be a bit late cropping......but I suspect that your cues will just rot.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 13:30 »
Can you bring your ungerminated seeds into the warmth of the house?

That seems like the best plan because if nothing shows after a further week they have probably rotted and you can start again (cukes and tomatoes should both be quite quick off the mark in warm conditions.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bertiewhite

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 13:34 »
(cukes and tomatoes should both be quite quick off the mark in warm conditions.)

That's what I thought and what made me realise that "sow indoors" meant exactly that  :wub:

I never sow all my seeds all at once in the same conditions anyway so I have started some others inside but just wondered if it's worth leaving the greenhouse ones to see what they do?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 15:11 »
Although my other tomato varieties have all germinated 100%, I am having trouble with some 5 year old Red Alert seeds - if nothing has happened within about 10 days I have a gentle poke around the soil surface with the flat end of a spoon to see what's happening in there (answer; can't even find the seeds - I've gone from sowing 2 seeds at a time to 10 per pot, and currently have just 1 of the 2 plants I need!)

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 20:58 »
Although my other tomato varieties have all germinated 100%, I am having trouble with some 5 year old Red Alert seeds

im trying RA this year for the first time as every year i get flowers then 1-2 green toms that never ripen as its too late in the season.
ive been told to try them as they are bush variety and grow well outdoors, how have you found them? any advice?

i dont have a green house so they are in the house until they can go out, at the moment they are just beginning to show thier first true leaves.
these 2 take all my time, whatever is left the veggies get, poor hubby is at the end of the queue.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 21:24 »
lochnesslass - the reason the seeds are 5 years old is that they have always been the most reliable (and early) variety I've grown, although I have obviously pushed the keeping qualities of the seeds a bit too far.

The last few summers have tested them to the limit, and being as far north as you are will be a problem if this year turns out to be the same.

Best advice I can offer is to provide some shelter - I've always grown mine half in and half out of a cold frame, meaning that they are covered up and therefore a bit warmer and protected until they grow to a height where the covers have to be removed.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 22:15 »
This the first time I've ever had a greenhouse and mistakenly thought that "sowing indoors" meant I could sow in the (unheated) greenhouse. Some stuff has come up but others such as cucumbers & tomatoes haven't. If I leave the seeds will they eventually show when it's warm enough & the time is right or will they rot? If I do the same outside, will seeds sowed too early just lay dormant until the time is right or will they "die"?

I can only get cucumbers to germinate if I cover the pot with cling film and put them in the airing cupboard!

webby139

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54 »
BEWARE though,

I put all kinds of chillis / cukes / peppers / cabbage etc on my windowsill the other day ready to start off in the warmth.

However to my horror, when i awoke on Saturday morning i had about 40 flies in the rooms where they were situated.

Thisk there must have been some kind of fly eggs or something in the compost i used

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Keith

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:14 »
I'm having trouble with everything :(. In the house  :(, in the greenhouse  :(, nothing seems to be working this year  :(. Looks like a trip to the garden centre  :(.

prakash_mib

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 14:24 »
Although my other tomato varieties have all germinated 100%, I am having trouble with some 5 year old Red Alert seeds

im trying RA this year for the first time as every year i get flowers then 1-2 green toms that never ripen as its too late in the season.
ive been told to try them as they are bush variety and grow well outdoors, how have you found them? any advice?

i dont have a green house so they are in the house until they can go out, at the moment they are just beginning to show thier first true leaves.
Have you tried microclimate idea (thermal mass) it does add a fair amount of warmth to the plants. google it  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

prakash_mib

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 14:26 »
I'm having trouble with everything :(. In the house  :(, in the greenhouse  :(, nothing seems to be working this year  :(. Looks like a trip to the garden centre  :(.
you are not too late to have another stab at it.. :) (apart from few exceptions)

xx
Too early to buy seeds?

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 24, 2016, 19:39
by harry
xx
Sowing seeds early

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 22:05
by Kristen
xx
Is it to early to start tomato plant seeds

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 09:02
by mikem
xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 40 queries.