PLANNING PERMISSION

• 15 Replies

Freddie

PLANNING PERMISSION
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:44 »
Hello, I have been informed that I have to obtain planning permission in order to erect a shed or greemhouse on my plot.
This seems ludicrous....Do you guys face the same problem ?

:cry:

brucesgirl

PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 10:58 »
Never heard anything so daft!
I always thought that a temporary structure doesn't need Planning Permission. If I were you I would phone the Planning Department at your local council to find out, they are usually really helpful.

andyh4

PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 10:58 »
In France any structure over 2m² requires permission of sorts - including sheds and greenhouses
Andy

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:19 »
Quote from: "Freddie"
Hello, I have been informed that I have to obtain planning permission in order to erect a shed or greemhouse on my plot.
This seems ludicrous....Do you guys face the same problem ?

:cry:

Are you sure it's not just PP from the site committee ? as brucesgirl says temp  structures don't normally req PP but are you in a conservation area this may affect it.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 17:13 »
:shock: Is Croydon a conservation area  :!:

Freddie

PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 19:17 »
No - but I believe someone has had their nose out out of joint and is making life hard for the committee members by making uneccessary complaints - this is one of them.
It does not make sense that the council would even uphold such a complaint - they are going to be inundated with requests. :cry:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 19:56 »
Have you rang the planning department ? they will give you the definitive answer  :wink:

milkman

PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 17:09 »
I would just employ some common sense and follow the lead of other plot holders - if quite a few other plot holders have erected sheds or greenhouses or ponds etc. then there is absolutely no good reason why you cannot get on and do the same without interference from interfering busy bodies with frankly nothing better to do with their lives...rant rant rant rave rave rave etc.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

hobbaabboh

PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 08:25 »
Hi - A shed [a wooden one] is classed as a temporary structure and does not need planning permission. If there is already a shed/ wooden structure on your site then the precedent has already been set and will comfirm that the site is legible for one. The only circumstances where a planning application would be needed is if; The shed is to be erected in the grounds of a listed building or in a special [conservation] area which would be more than 10 cubic metres; More than 3m high, or 4m high if it has a ridged roof. The only other circumstance would be, if the position of the shed obstructs light/ access to roads to neighbouring dwellings [ie, houses].
More than likely as 'milkman' has stated, it is probably some busy body with nothing else to do, giving you misinformed information and deluded
by illusions of power and granduer...every allotment has one...At my allotments we have 2/3 'characters', it's like an ongoing soap opera, but makes for amusing fun, between digging and weeding... :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 11:17 »
Welcome hobbaabboh

Great information for your first post  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 19:47 »
Yep good going, welcome to the site hobbaabboh  :D

sweet nasturtium

PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 12:56 »
Our contract stipulates the size and colour of our shed.  That's the contract between the council and me as plotholder - if that's any help.

muntjac

PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 13:17 »
if you pay rent to the council they are the landlords tell the allotment commitee to bog off .. backenderrs :x
still alive /............

mushroom

PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 13:26 »
When i got my allotment, I got a little card that had the rules in. Amongst them was one that said plot holders needed to seek approval for a shed to be built on the plot.

So, that went like this:

me: er, can i have a shed on me plot

them: "yeah"

me: would an 8 foot by 6 foot apex be too big?

them: "nah"

As with most things like this, there are rules then there is the practicality of enforcement. I'd guess what they did was start out with a load of rules then decided what to enforce and what not, within reason. If your shed was 20 feet by 20 and had a giant santa on the top with flashing lights on played music and yo ho ho, they'd have something to say about it. My advice would be to ask the other plot holders what they had to do to sort a shed rather than looking at the rule book.

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
PLANNING PERMISSION
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 16:52 »
we have to ak the committee for "permission"
This is due to someone putting up a 24 foot long 12 foot wide polytunnel and growing stuff and selling it.
Since then they ask us to draw a little plan and say where it is going ...this stops shading the next plot too
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.