Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Fox Attacks Warning.
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2010, 18:57 »
Well officer, the problem is the foxes....  ::)  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

chriseales

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2010, 16:21 »
Hi I am new, I have heard that the scarecrow CAT's are very goos, they have an infared sensor attached to a sprinkler, and if they detect movment they spray out a jet of water and make a loud clicking sound, apparantley this is something that foxes will never get used to and will always avoid, also good fun to catch out unsuspecting guests!

They are usually around £50 but  I got one from ebay for £25,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370092764624
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 16:09 by chriseales »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2010, 18:07 »
but this would spray our chickens and other birds so I wouldn't use one. It wont just select foxes.
Staffies are softer than you think.

chriseales

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2010, 20:03 »
but this would spray our chickens and other birds so I wouldn't use one. It wont just select foxes.

You are missing the point

Well it would if you have your chickens out and have it on during the day, but I have two situated next to my coop and run (pointing away from the coop and run) and I only have it switched on when the Chickens are in the run or house and overnight.

This keeps foxes away at night and prevents them attacking the hen house and trying to break in and discourages further visits.

During the daytime when my chickens (and children) are around in the garden I simply switch the unit off

Foxes will get used to smell and noise repelants over time but will never get used to a sudden soaking
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 20:07 by chriseales »

joyfull

« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2010, 20:07 »
foxes also take chickens during the day and even when humans are nearby, they now are not scared of a human presence.

chriseales

« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2010, 20:08 »
foxes also take chickens during the day and even when humans are nearby, they now are not scared of a human presence.

Then there is not much we can do but keep the chucks locked up all day then I guess?

joyfull

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2010, 20:11 »
good electric fencing is probably the best method I'm afraid  :(.

chriseales

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2010, 09:04 »
good electric fencing is probably the best method I'm afraid  :(.

I was only really refering to keeping foxes away at night, and the water sprayers are a cost effective method that works well for me as an urban chicken keeper.

As for daytime fox visits this is a whole different kettle of fish and raise a lot more problems for an urban kepper, electric fencing would be fine for someone with a large holding, but for an urban keeper this would mean fencing my entire garden perimeter which would be costly and difficult to do and also not be popular with my neighbours.

For urban keepers that have problems with fox visits during the daytime I have no idea what the solution could be. But for the urban keeper that wants to deter fox visits (and other animals such as cats and dogs that may foul your garden) I reccomend the water sprayers

Avon

« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2010, 06:19 »
I saw one cheeky chap at my hen arks at 7.30 the other day - and have more recently lost another bantam. 

The only real solution I have come across was my old man with his shot gun, trouble was this time he was asleep. 

Not PC I know, but having seen the way they just kill and rip my chucks heads of this 'veggie' still thinks its the best solution.

joshbuchan

« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2010, 21:08 »
What dryer is that then? :)

lol late reply, but bad spelling :lol: i need to check before i post ::)

Speckly Sarah

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2010, 14:34 »
chriseales: Doesn't that also squirt water at the chickens when they move though???  :ohmy:

joshbuchan

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2010, 16:26 »
ok  this is what i read in my small houlders magazine yesterday.

HUTNING BAN "doubts"

Conservation plan to reintroduse fox hunting are in doubt with the formaion of a coalition goverment.
David camron came to a comperomise with liberal democrats leader nick clegg, MP's will now have the chanse to vote on a parliamentary motion later in the year on whether to hold a free vote on the ban. the free vote will only happen if the majority of the MP's support the motion, but its uncear whether MP's will back it.

get on to your MP'S casses about fox hunting people!!!!!!!! we need to make a diffrence and we need to do it now!! let the MP's here your apoions and veiws, but dnt just say somthing silly like i want them killed cuz i dnt like them and they eat my chickens....... that will be no good.

u will need to explain to them the problems, the advantages and the disavantages, u need to help them with idears for a solushion to sort the problem, like fox hunting only in the auton n winter.

well yea, any ways , just fort i would bring this to all your atenshion, tell me what u all feel on this matter.

thanks for lissionsing,

Josh.

NormandyMary

« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2010, 19:54 »
Last Saturday, we had devastation, I found 4 dead hens, and one of our cockerals, with 2 hens and the other cockerel injured.
We nursed the two hens back to health, and our beloved cockerel Monty was just getting his mojo back. This afternoon, at exactly the same time as last week, I discovered devastation again, this time my two small reds had been taken away, just a few feathers left, and my light sussex that had survived a pasting last week was decapitated. Monty too has been attacked again, I pray that he will pull through. Im left with one sussex broody who is sitting on 4 eggs (something which saved her as she was in the henhouse) and a grey who managed to jump the fence to escape. She did that last week too, bless her. We now have no option but to build a run for them, which was something we wanted to avoid, preferring our girls and boys to roam as free as possible.
Its such a sad day. Im left with only 2 hens, one of them broody, and injured Monty.

joshbuchan

« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2010, 13:40 »
i am so sorry to here such bad news! i hopw monty will be ok, building a tall penced pen is the only thing to do now, they will keep coming back, as they now now theres a nice easy lunch woundering around your ganrden now... foxes dig well also so berrying the fence atleast 2ft under is a must and foxs clime well to....... so 8fth up is also a must, and evan that dnt some times stop em from climbing up when chased, so a little bit going out at the top will stop em from making the last bit and falling back down. sound like a prison i know but its the only way.... also they like to dig under gates so extra corshon must be made there.

gem

« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2010, 18:47 »
Well I woke up to a pile of feathers this morning and both my beautiful girls gone  :(  I am so sad today as they were part of the family.

I have been on this house over 25 years and there has been no signs of foxes but Im guessing thats what it was.  Seems to have opened the gate somehow and made its way in there.

RIP Milly and Tilly

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 41 queries.