Feel Like a Rubbish Chicken Keeper ...........

• 15 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Feel Like a Rubbish Chicken Keeper ...........
« on: September 03, 2012, 14:14 »
A month or so ago (maybe a bit more - time flies) I posted about Hen-rietta laying softies, broken eggs etc. As suggsted I withdrew their treats, and things got a bit better - she started laying perfect eggs that had a weak point on the side which cracked, then we started getting normal eggs again. A week or so ago, we returned to softies, shell less eggs etc, and then 3 days ago, nothing. She looked a bit sorry for herself, so I thought she was just gearing up to get going again. Yesterday she was a bit puffed up, tail down, and quiet, but went to bed last night etc. This morning she didnt come out of the house, but was roosting on the bars, not sitting in a corner or anything. she stayed in the house until late morning, then gradually come down into the run, and then sat down in the run. She was breathing a but heavy, but had bright eyes, no discharge from eyes or nose, comb a nice colour etc. She had her eyes shut for quite long periods, then just flopped on her side, twitched a few times and she was gone.

I am very sad to have lost her, and feel like I have not looked after her properly and let her down.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Re: Feel Like a Rubbish Chicken Keeper ...........
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 14:21 »
I think it might be mites.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 14:24 »
Really? I assumed it was egg related

kegs

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 15:45 »
Sorry to hear that SurryLass.  You are not a rubbish chicken keeper but I do know the feeling well, as we had to dispatch one of ours when she prolapsed with her first egg, and I hadn't a clue what was happening as we'd only had chickens one week.  It nearly put me off keeping chickens for good.

I believe that some modern hybrids are made to lay so many eggs so quickly that they just aren't as strong and healthy as we want them to be.  As your chicken was about 21 months old and had previously had problems with shell less eggs then I would have thought that it was egg related, possibly egg peritonitis.   In a way, try to find comfort in the fact that she went quickly and that it wasn't a long drawn out illness.  Sorry, I can't be more helpful and I'm sorry you've lost Hen-rietta.  :(

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 15:54 »
I have just freaked a bit about the mites suggestion above, and emptied everything (again) Poultry Sheilded (again) and now jetwashed the house out. Just waiting for it to dry in the sun, then I can give it a good coating of DE.

She is about 21ish months old I guess - I got her in March 2011, as an 18 week old POL. She laid every day, and has had the odd bout of softie laying well before all this started up.
I felt fairly confident that it was an egg related issue, but I dont know all that much really, just what I have read about on the wonder web!

I now have a messy situation - I have Milly (same age as Hen-rietta) in the bigger run and house, and Pauline (about 6 months younger) in another run and house right next to the other one (some of you may remember the nasty bullying going on which almost lead me to rehome 2 of them but I bought a new house and run instead! And then Oeuf-elia popped her clogs a couple of months ago due to an impacted crop, leaving Pauline on her own). I guess I now need to move Pauline in with Milly, and hope feathers dont fly again.

Oh god. What a mess.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 20:30 »
being older and used to seeing each other might help.

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 21:59 »
Surrylass i DOUBT very much it is mites, sounds more egg related

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:15 »
Thanks - it had to be egg related surely, after all the eggy problems?

Well, I think we are going to have to bite the bullet and put Milly and Pauline back together. I am ABSOLUTELY dreading it. Pauline has been away from the bullies for several months now, but still hasnt feathered up properly - she still looks a shambles, with two wing areas and back bare bits. She has some back feathers sprouting through, so I think I will let those open up, and then put her in with Milly - hopefully, Milly will be grateful of the company and not decide to attack again!

Didnt sleep well last night, worrying about what I had done wrong

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:24 »
21 months is old for a hybrid so don't beat yourself up about her loss. They do need to be with other hens though as they are flock creatures and will be no good on their own.

It sounds like your girl probably had peritonitis and it's very common but incurable.   I took my hen to the vets for treatment but she didn't respond so was put to sleep

As long as you do your best to keep your girls clean, healthy and safe from foxy, make sure they have good food and clean water and company  :), space to peck about then you can't do much more.  Pure breed hens will live longer than hybrids but give fewer eggs  :)

kegs

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:30 »
SurryLass.  Why don't you get a poultry saddle for her before you put them back in together, it might protect her back from getting pecked again?

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 15:44 »
Oh I havent heard about those. Where do you buy them and are they easy to fit? Pauline is terribly flighty and doesnt really like contact much.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 18:14 »
Hi Surrylass. so sorry to hear about your loss of Hen-rietta.
Just another suggestion re bullying. what about a beak clip as well for Milly. That will at least help to stop her getting hold of Pauline. You never know. Pauline might be able to give as much back now.
For what its worth, it doesn't sound like mites to me either. I'm certainly no expert but surely her comb would not have been a good colour and she wouldn't have wanted to go into the house. Would she??

kegs

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 18:40 »
Lots of on line suppliers do the saddles, such as flyte so fancy and regency poultry.  Here are images of them so you can see how they fit.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=poultry%20saddles&hl=en&prmd=imvns&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1024&bih=655&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=ADpGUIy7GOLU0QW2gIGoAg

(Sorry mods.  I don't know how to do a short link.)

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 22:16 »
Compost queen i was shocked to read that 21 months was quite old for a hybrid  ??? I had no idea, obviously i knew they had a shorter life span i have my lovely Ranger who is 3 and had planned on her her for a few more years yet...Sorry Surrylass for asking that on your post, but just to add,  i have heard the saddle works well and it might help Pauline or you never know the two of them might get on fantastic but i think they need to be together and im sure they will sort there differences and eventually settle in together :)

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 21:01 »
Pauline moved in with Milly late this afternoon - a bit of nastiness, but after an hour or so they calmed down, and have gone to bed nicely. Early days, but lets see what tommorrow brings. Fingers crossed!

If it gets nasty again, I will order a saddle I think. Thanks for the advice!

clip
WARNING - Chicken coop arrived - it's rubbish!!!!!

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

44 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 18:38
by ANHBUC
xx
New chicken keeper, almost!

Started by hamsterhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 11:15
by ANHBUC
xx
Help for a new chicken keeper please

Started by What Allot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 21:18
by nzdunn
xx
New Chicken Keeper

Started by Dottyaussie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 20:17
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 39 queries.