Hi fellow gardeners

• 2 Replies

Jes Gloucester

Hi fellow gardeners
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:56 »
Just wanted to say hello, I've been a keen but not expert gardener for many years. We've got a decent sized kitchen garden where we grow nearly all our veg, planted an asparagus bed last year, did not do very well but I'm hoping it will improve in time, Followed Monty Dons video to the letter. Won't be cutting any for a couple of years, We gave up keeping chickens a couple of years ago when the run needed replacing and put a fruit cage up last year, great results, made loads of raspberry and strawberry jam!
I've managed for years with a tiny leanto 6x2 greenhouse and have just ordered a 6x8 greenhouse so need advice on the best layout for the staging etc. We also have a good sized but shady ( planted too many trees 30+ years ago!) domestic garden. Numerous sheds and two Labradors, that about sums it up.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Hi fellow gardeners
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 20:00 »
Hi and welcome  :)

I have staging just down one side of my greenhouse, so I can grow tomatoes and the like down the other side.  I also grow in pots and my greenhouse floor is slabbed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Hi fellow gardeners
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:15 »
Good morning and welcome to the forum  :D

Our greenhouse has a slab path, permanent wooden staging built along one side and the back, where hedges are close the greenhouse. The other side, which is the lightest side has a soil bed, which suits tomatoes and cucumbers. Chillies are in pots on the staging eventually. During the seedling-season, I have a temporary staging over the soil bed to accommodate various trays and pots, both on top and at ground level

Works for me. New Shoot's greenhouse is lovely btw  :nowink:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 42 queries.