chicken run flooring - paving slabs?

• 10 Replies

rosie14

chicken run flooring - paving slabs?
« on: June 11, 2012, 22:08 »
hi we probably have a 20x4 foot run to the side of our house which is partially covered at both ends and has a mud floor but the chooks come out most days but only with supervision these days!!!!! :blink:

Since our Orpington hatched 3 Pekin chicks 3 weeks ago we rehomed our 2nd hen (a bluebell) to my mum and dads big flock. I know the weather of late has been particularly wet and nasty but regardelss of this we'd like a better floor especially with feather footed friends hopefully staying - if they are hens I mean.

Ultimately a floor that is cheap and easier to maintain and wash down so we were thinking of paving 1/2 of it and leaving the mud floor as it is at the far end where their house is. Is that ok do you think? I think it is the best solution but am unsure.

Sassy

Re: chicken run flooring - paving slabs?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:36 »
As long as they have an area to scratch around in and make dust baths some paving should be fine :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:42 »
We have started to pave our run as it gets so swampy in weather like this.

We bought a childs sandpit as a dust bath and at the moment it has turned into a paddling pool :wacko:

We put straw over the slabs so they still do loads of scratching.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 14:07 »
We have slabs in the garden where the chooks come during the day. They love to sunbathe on them.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 15:42 »
Your pekins are going to need something like aubiose/easybed/shavings etc on the floor to protect their leg and foot feathers.  If they remain on mud, you will have to do a foot check every day, and be prepared to wash feet etc, as mud balls hanging off the feathers can be very painful.

If you do slab an area, either leave one area slab free, or give the whole thing a deep covering of something the chickens can scratch in :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 18:03 »
Our run is two thirds slabs which we cover with miscanthus or some times straw. Thw other third is soil which get a good dig over every now and then. They have made a lovely big pit? which I top up with sand and diatom roughly once a month.

rosie14

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 22:27 »
thanks for your replies, really helpful. With the slabs over 1/2 the run looking like the best idea how often do you change the covering or does it depend on what you use on top? Thanks all.

Fiona55

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:20 »
Not sure if this is helpful as I am a novice chook keeper.  We had a mud run which rapidly turned into a swamp.  We made a temporary roof over half the run - which we are going to make permanent which solved the problem, we then put in in some sand which seemed to dry up all the mud even in the unroofed section.  I regularly disinfect the sand/soil & my hausband fairly frequently digs over the ground - chooks get especially exicted after it has been dug.  Occasionally we add some extra sand. 

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56 »
Our run has paving tiles and we cover it with a thick layer of Easy Bed or something similar.  The hens love scratching in it and make nice deep nests to sit in while resting.  Dirt baths are taken when we let them out to free range under out supervision.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

grinling

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 11:36 »
Are you going to provide a roofed area to kep them dry, mine only go inside to roost or lay eggs.

rosie14

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 19:55 »
front and far end covered with the clear wriggly style plastic roofing leaving the middle (and majority) of the run exposed to the elements.

xx
panic over concrete slabs for chicken house and run!

Started by rosegarden on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 22:24
by JaK
xx
chicken run flooring

Started by rogersimons on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 23:08
by ANHBUC
xx
Chicken Run Flooring

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 01, 2017, 17:24
by alexroyall85
xx
What flooring for a chicken coop

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2012, 08:24
by Sassy

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 36 queries.