Counting the cost of winter

• 4 Replies

Casey76

Counting the cost of winter
« on: May 29, 2012, 14:13 »
We had a very cold winter this year, down to -25°C some days and all of my nice cultivated plants have really suffered.

All three of my new roses I put in last spring didn't survive, neither did two clematis, two passiflora, and surprisingly a fairly mature hibiscus, plus a couple of giant pots containing lillies and various other bulbs.

What did survive, however were the nettles, pesky things that they are, and becasue it has been wet in the evenings, and on Saturday afternoons, I have suddently got knee high nettles in my front "lawn"

I'm going to have to do a lot of replacing this autumn, which I'm not looking forward to, but hopefully next year will be better :)

Trillium

Re: Counting the cost of winter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 14:30 »
That's really unfortunate but an indication to our changing climate everywhere in the world.

When you do replace your flowers, I'd suggest you look for hardier ones rather than those softies, and for winter, cover all those plants crowns with big clumps of leaves for winter protection. If the stems won't make it, at least the crowns will. I speak from experience of many -20C + winters  :(

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 17:35 »
I assume your passionflowers were outside?
I've always wanted to grow passionflowers but I wouldn't even try outside!

It's always terrible to lose a plant you've had for a while - I get quite attached to some of my favourites.
We had a beautiful tender bush that had pretty, small purple flowers and leaves that smelt of eucalyptus and that died in the garden. Then we put another in a pot and that died too! Despite being in the greenhouse overwinter.
Gutted.
Wish I could remember what it was called :mellow:

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 23:23 »
I lost a new jasmine and a 5 year old montana clematis this year. Thought it was the Winter but today discovered the jasmine is coming up again!!  Joy!
Don't know about the montana.......they're so tough it's a mystery....stalk was brittle and splitting. Too dry? Too old?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 23:30 »
When I lived in Kent, I took a cutting from the passionflower in Brian's Mum's garden, and grew it up the side of my little shed.  it covered the sides and roof f the shed for about 5 years, then suddenly died one year.

Don't know why.  Strange......

Sorry you lost so many lovely plants Casey!  :(

xx
greenhouse cost?

Started by liamsmum on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:26
by srush
xx
the cost of gardening

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 20:14
by rowlandwells
xx
Winter Rye

Started by christokes87 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post December 08, 2011, 20:11
by christokes87
xx
winter flowers

Started by azubah on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 18:00
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 35 queries.