Tomatoes

• 21 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Tomatoes
« on: August 30, 2006, 20:35 »
Well, so far, I've got 46lbs of tomatoes chopped, bagged and frozen, so we'll be alright for tomato soup and pasta sauce for the winter.

I've got my 2nd hand freezer from Ebay now!!!!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 10:29 »
Our Plum Roma are just starting to ripen, so much making of sauce to follow. Eventually we end up just freezing tomatoes whole!

Added 16 bags (a bag being a good portion  for two) of sweetcorn to the freezer yesterday. Probably got double that to go - so a portion of sweetcorn every week in our diet for a year.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

spud

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 10:52 »
Believe it or not...I never even thought about freezing our tomatoes! are you preparing them in any way or just washing? or just straight into the freezer?

We make some chutney to John Seymour's recipe but what with Jam, blanching veggies etc, freezing the tomatoes is very tempting!

Thanks   :)
Best Regards,

spud

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 11:14 »
I freeze them whole in freezer bags they make a lovely clickety clackety noise when solid, I've caught the girls in the freezer just getting them out to play with them for a minute or two. (We don't do Playstations! :lol: )

milkman

Tomatoes
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 11:17 »
Ditto re storing toms whole in freezer bags - leaves me time to focus on other harvesting activities.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

noshed

Tomatoes
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 11:21 »
I just eat mine. Never seem to be enough
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 21:17 »
we are awaiting our glut of beef tomatoes at the moment,off 3 plants we have around 70 toms.good job we have kids who enjoy eating. :lol:

GrannieAnnie

Tomatoes
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 22:25 »
When I first mentioned a glut of tomatoes to my firend Jacqui, she said I freeze mine when I get too many, and I said but don't they tke up a lot of room in your little freezer?  she said no, I roughly chop them, then they fit into smaller spaces.  so that's what I do now.  I chop them up, put into freezer bags, suck as much air out as I can to help cut down on air as well as space, then put the bag in an old (clean) buttery stuff tub.  then freeze them.  Once frozen, I take the bag out and reuse the tub, and the tomatoes are in a nice neat block which stacks much better in the freezer!

Annie

Tomatoes
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:58 »
We roast our toms then blitz them in the food processer with a handfull of basil then  freeze.I have been told that they can be bottled like this so I am going to try this as it will free up freezer space and be more flexible if I use different sized jars.

Annie

Tomatoes
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 09:59 »
We roast our toms then blitz them in the food processer with a handfull of basil then  freeze.I have been told that they can be bottled like this so I am going to try this as it will free up freezer space and be more flexible if I use different sized jars.

wellingtons

I prefer to make them into a ...
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 12:43 »
... sauce first, then freeze them.

I roast them in the oven with a finely diced onion or two and some red pepper if I have it for about 40 mins.

Then blitz with one of those hand blender things with a splosh of water and freeze.

I used to add basil to some, chilli to others, but it's a darn sight easier to make on whacking great lot and then season to taste one you've whipped it out the freezer.

I ALWAYS have a jar of this sauce in my fridge in the summer months, home late ... and the basis of dinner is there, whether you want ratatouille, curry or pasta ... brilliant.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Tomatoes
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 13:34 »
made a sauce last night from cherry toms, with garlic, chill and basil in. was the most aamazing sauce I have ever had. All home grown, I love this new hobby I have this year.

MumoftTwo

Tomatoes
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 13:43 »
Lost all my plants to blight before the tomatoes could ripen, so there'll be enough green tomato chutney made to feed the whole of Devon this weekend :D
Used to have a handle on life, but it broke....

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 14:35 »
We do passata! Takes up half the space in bottles with a tell-tale dimple in the top - even so, commandeered the cupboard in No.1 son't bedroom :lol:

GrannieAnnie

Tomatoes
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 14:49 »
Hi sprout, does homemade passata go thick like the one I buy in the shops?  How do you do it?

xx
tomatoes

Started by flatcap on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 09:11
by flatcap
xx
Tomatoes anyone?

Started by Mash Mad on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 20:33
by shokkyy
xx
Cherry tomatoes

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:14
by Yorkie
xx
What to do with green tomatoes

Started by jonotaylor on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 11:37
by orfy

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 35 queries.