horse manure or cow manure?

• 35 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: horse manure or cow manure?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 17:25 »
Why is it now less of a problem? What has changed?

It's partly to do with timings, and partly to do with improved information. 

The herbicides were initially introduced a few years ago, so will take time to be used up in manure piles, but hopefully there will be lower amounts of affected manure still in circulation now.  The herbicides also reduce in impact with time, if they have been exposed to the air.

They then had their licence suspended for a year or two as a result of the concerns of growers, so manure from that period will be safe.  Since the licences were reinstated, farmers have had the riot act read to them about ongoing use for affected manure - which includes telling future users if there is likely to be contamination so they can make an informed decision.

Whether the farmers know or care about the potential contamination is a separate issue, hence the need to continue to be careful with manure from a source which has not been guaranteed clean.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 17:33 »
I have little choice other than to use horse muck - my wife has three of the creatures - but I'd make an observation. They seem to eat a lot of creeping buttercups and the seeds seem indestructible. No matter how long the manure has been standing, and I'm using stuff off a ten year old heap, there will inevitably be a host of tiny seedlings as soon as it's exposed to light and warmth

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 17:53 »
not a massive problem tho m8, i much prefer that to bindweed which it seems would laugh in the face of a nuclear warhead.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 19:12 »
We used rotted down rabbit manure as I have four of them and they produce a lot! It has some seeds in but they tend to be things like plantain, dandelion and grass and if those pop up in the soil I just pick them and feed them to the rabbits again! My dad used it on his potatoes last year and was very happy with his harvest. My next job on my plot is to spread a load over my bigger veg bed.

bertiewhite

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49 »
Well I use horse manure as I have an inexhaustable supply from ours but I also use chicken manure on it's own or mixed in with my compost. As aelf said - I would have thought Horse manure would still have a lot of goodness in it compared to Cow's and I simply regard Horse manure as shredded grass that has started the rotting process really. Also, I think the consistancy of Horse manure would make it easier to use than Cow's? In any case, anybody in the Spilsby area of Lincolnshire can take as much as they want from our place. We just fill up a trailer provided by the farmer who we rent the field from and he distributes it to his farmer friends when it's full so I would never dream of charging for it.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 14:27 »
with all the scare around beef over the past decade i'd be reluctant to use it as i'm not sure what stuff makes it through the guts and out the back and i'm not so sure what pelleted stuff they get fed by the farmers apart from the grass they eat themselves and plus the herbicides issue that affects some allotment owners. i use Horse manure and i do get seeds coming through and growing, some weeds i never seen before. fingers crossed i haven't come across this herbicide issue

just have to make sure any source of manure is safe
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 14:30 by potatogrower »

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
horse manure or cow manure?

Started by ferret1988 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 17:41
by DD.
xx
well rotted poultry manure or well rotted horse manure?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 10:26
by rachelsco

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 34 queries.