Is it legal to take seaweed from our beaches here in the UK?

• 21 Replies

Willie_Eckerslike

I've been reading up on plant foods, and seaweed seems an important plant food. I was wondering if it may make sense to do a trip to the coast, collect some seaweed in my trailer, dry it, shred it, and dig it into my plot, particularly with my potatoes............... but is it legal?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Is it legal to take seaweed from our beaches here in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:18 »
This depends on who owns the particular section of shoreline. If it is privately owned, you can and should ask permission.

Approximately half of the UK foreshore and around half of the tidal riverbeds are owned
by the Crown and managed by The Crown Estate,

The intertidal zone is otherwise known as the foreshore.

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/media/174947/shoreline_management_briefing_note.pdf

Edit to fix broken link
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 20:07 by Yorkie »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:04 »
I was told you can as long as it's not living ie attached to rocks etc. Mind you turning up with trailer may get you some funny looks but an odd carrier bag full should be ok

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:38 »
This is another one of those very grey areas, I would say to check with your local council as they maybe local bylaws prohibiting it, as with drift wood.

I have taken it in small quanities before, only once have I been challenged, tho they didnt say if I could continue or not!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

bigben

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:59 »
I think your meant to get permission first. You might get away with a bag or two but a trailer is possibly asking for trouble. If you fill the last bit of each bag with rubbish - plastic etc you might even convice people you are doing community service tidying up the beach!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:49 »
The harbourmaster of Lyme Regis says I can have as much as I want off Monmouth beach,  must drop off a jar of jam and a bottle of home made wine on my next visit.  :wub:    Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 16:03 »
If it's washed up (ie on the tideline) then isn't it fair game, along with wood and other "beachcombable" stuff?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 16:14 »
RHS advice
Fresh seaweed has long been used by coastal gardeners as a soil improver and plant feed, but there is no public right to collect seaweed from the beach unless you own the beach and it is not designated a site of special scientific interest or a special area of conservation. If you plan to gather seaweed, it is always advisable to check with the land owner and the local council first.

That should make the position clear enough, as everyone seems to have ignored Argyllie's earlier advice!

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 16:24 »
Thanks Mum.  :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 16:35 »
I have fired off several emails to both local and national bodies etc, I shall post any replies I receive from them.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 18:59 »
As long as it's not for commercial use (for which you need a licence) and you have permission your allowed to take it.
Faff free zone!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 19:02 »
As long as it's not for commercial use (for which you need a licence) and you have permission your allowed to take it.

Of course you are.............it's the need for permission that some people find difficult to accept  :nowink:

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 19:29 »
as a fisherman i am sure that anything below the high tide line is free to anyone.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 19:33 »
RHS advice
Fresh seaweed has long been used by coastal gardeners as a soil improver and plant feed, but there is no public right to collect seaweed from the beach unless you own the beach and it is not designated a site of special scientific interest or a special area of conservation. If you plan to gather seaweed, it is always advisable to check with the land owner and the local council first.

That should make the position clear enough, as everyone seems to have ignored Argyllie's earlier advice!

Please read this advice - then you will know whether it is legal or not, Many thanks to Argyllie and Mum of Stig for posting the lawful advice even though some obviously chose to ignore it  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 19:34 »
as a fisherman i am sure that anything below the high tide line is free to anyone.

Sorry but you are not right, however much you would like to be.

The legal position has been stated and re-stated.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 52 queries.