Got No Manure - Alternative Required

• 24 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Got No Manure - Alternative Required
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 08:49 »
chicken and duck poo ARE manure  :lol:   Just not horse manure, still out of the same end  :dry:

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12 »
I haven't used manure in 6 years but don't tell the others  ::)

I do add compost and chicken pellets as well as growmore or fish blood bone though.

Is there a reason you don't use it Yorkie? Have you noticed much difference with your crops especially brassicas from when you have used it?

Cheers
Faff free zone!

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58 »
I haven't used manure in 6 years but don't tell the others  ::)

I do add compost and chicken pellets as well as growmore or fish blood bone though.

Only used manure our first year and then read of the possible problems with it, so do the same as Yorkie.
Manage to get 5/6 cubic metres of compost a year with the help of a friend who looks after others gardens.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 17:39 »
The reason is physical effort.  We do get it delivered by the lotty association but always to the other end of the site.  It's quite a steep pull up the hill and then down to my lotty from the manure; I did get a couple of barrowloads this time round but they really don't go far and I was in quite a bit of pain in my elbows afterwards.

I also don't really have anywhere to store it on my plot if acquired when fresh.

I suspect my crops would do better if properly manured but it's not going to happen physically for me.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 18:41 »
Thanks for the reply Yorkie.

webby139

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 11:57 »
Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice.

Basically turned the soil over with a fork and i have spread the used potato compost on all the beds (I'm not growing spuds or toms in there next year).

I'll see what i can do by the way of chicken pellets or compost.

I'll not bother covering either i don't think.

Cheers,
Web.
Keith

Totty

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 19:06 »
Sow a green manure as previously mentioned, then dig that in late winter, early spring. It will stop nutrients getting washed out and will store things like nitrogen in the roots. When dug over, they will rot down giving you the next best thing to manuring

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 19:40 »
Can you get to the local beach and collect seaweed? I use it every year and find it an excellent source of nutrients. I also use manure and compost as well as leafmould, but in the short term seaweed wont do any harm.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 19:58 »
To be honest manure is not that hard to get hold of, not sure if your on an allotment or grow at home but one of the first things my plot neighbour said to me was if you need manure see Dennis on plot 20 he gets decent stuff for a fiver a trailer load, I haven't used him yet as I have a supply of already rotted stuff from a stables just means I have to collect it takes me an hour to fill 15 rubble bags for the car with the back seats down and a tarp layed down and doesn't smell because its black and rotted (wife won't let me use the people carrier though or I'd get 20 bags in  >:()

Have a ring around if you have a car, or ask fellow plot holders.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59 »
Can you get to the local beach and collect seaweed? I use it every year and find it an excellent source of nutrients. I also use manure and compost as well as leafmould, but in the short term seaweed wont do any harm.

We have discussed seaweed on here several times.  You need to be sure of the legality of removing it before you simply go ahead and do it.  There is no general right to pick it; and to do so without the landowner's or Crown estate permission is theft.

xx
Alternative to compost and manure

Started by Clarky86 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 06, 2018, 21:50
by al78
xx
Manure advice required

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 19:09
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Manure Required For New Ollerton Nottinghamshire

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 20:15
by Dantheman
xx
What alternative to Derris?

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 22:20
by galen

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 40 queries.