Feeding my raised vegetable beds

• 5 Replies

ceeci

Feeding my raised vegetable beds
« on: May 03, 2011, 18:22 »
I started growing last year in two raised beds in my garden and had fresh compost in both. I grew a variety of stuff with great success last year and did not feed my vegetables very much at all last year.

This is now my second year and I'm wondering how should I feed my vegetables during the growing season. I already added a couple of bags of manure from the garden centre in the autumn and left it over winter.  I have two beds that are 1.2 x 2.4m each. Already everything I have planted is growing well, but I assume I need to add some stuff this year.

I'm sorry that this is probably a very basic question for some of you very experienced growers ;)

Thanks in advance,
Cecilie

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Feeding my raised vegetable beds
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 19:33 »
What veg is in the beds?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Nige2Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 19:36 »
What veg is in the beds?
That is a good point as some root vegetables do not like manure!

stompy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:58 »
Generally roots don't go into manured soil but everything else will be fine.
You could add some BFB and for the brassicas and beans you can use chicken manure pellets sprinkled around the base and water in.

I used manure on my original plot when o first got it and for about 3 years i got great crops but eventually the productivity dropped off and i applied another load again and once again the productivity was back as good as before.
You would still be wise to apply BFB and Chicken manure pellets through the season too.

What i did notice was that the soil condition deteriated as the productivity did, i will be applying manure on my new plot every year appart from where the roots will be planted.
I think it's good practice and certaintly will help improve soil structure, i will be using raised beds and hopefully (eventually) be able to addopt no dig beds.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:04 »
Where I plant my snips and carrots, I don't dig manure in but spread it on the top then, when I sow the seeds, I scrape it away from the furrows. I think it helps to continue with soil improvement and also acts as a mulch when it's dry.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

ceeci

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 14:32 »
Thank you very much!

Apartment from beets and radish, I don't really grow any other roots (just some carrots in a separate large pot, with only compost in it). I grow lettuch, spring onions, rocket, chard, beans and peas, as well as some herbs, and soon to come tomatoes, courgette and cucumber.

C :)

xx
Raised vegetable beds?

Started by Hollyjim on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 07:12
by davel831
xx
Feeding raised beds

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 11, 2018, 11:16
by mumofstig
xx
Feeding Raised Beds after the first year

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 21:47
by yummy
xx
cats & vegetable beds....

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 23:01
by newseed

Page created in 0.629 seconds with 33 queries.