TVO

• 9 Replies

rowlandwells

TVO
« on: December 18, 2010, 15:01 »
i was getting some petrol in the village the other day when i asked the garage owner if one could still get TVO he looked at me in amazement i guess he thought i was on something then he casuly asked what the hell is TVO as if i had made it up i said well your about my age aren't you you must remember the old blue and green fordson tractors he replied yes but whats that got to do with TVO i said well farmers ran there tractors on TVO when we where kids

Tractor vaporising oil sort of a petrol paraffin mixture that these old laddies run on i said haven't you been to Hollowell show he said yes and seen the vintage tractors he replies of course then the penny dropped

he said but your vintage tractors run on diesel yes i know but my Ferguson's are later models i have one tractor that i am restoring that will run on TVO eventually so where dose one get TVO from these days i said he looked very berm used and shrugged his shoulders and said  to be honest i don't know  he said as i was leaving the garage TVO with a big grin on his face

8doubles

Re: TVO
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 15:23 »
I thought TVO was parrafin , learning all the time. :)

I did find this , http://vintagetractorengineer.com/2009/01/mixing-tractor-vaporising-oil/

Spana

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 15:28 »
Not sure if you are asking where to get it from or not but your local vintage machinery club would know :)

I've just been told  of mixtures that will work by the farmers sitting in my kitchen    but as they all sound very explosive to me and are probably illegal  i wont repeat them. :D

griff

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 15:00 »

tvo was a name uses for tractors that started on petrol then when hot turned over to paraffin.   We use heating oil now.   20 litres of heating oil mixed with 5 litres of petrol.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 15:16 »
That's an interesting garden ornament Griff! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Spana

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 16:18 »
[  We use heating oil now.   20 litres of heating oil mixed with 5 litres of petrol.

Thats about what the lot here were saying.  I thought it sounded scarey but I'm a real whimp when it comes to petrol :blink:  :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 18:07 »
griff your absolutely rite in what your saying regarding starting on petrol and turning over to paraffin or TVO of course paraffin or TVO has a distinctive smell far better than diesel fumes
like comparing it to steam trains something of a bygone age  :happy:

in my Ferguson Manuel it refers to lamp oil i presume its the same as paraffin or TVO by the way that's a splendid picture of i presume your T20 my tractors are unfortunately not a clean as yours you've put me to shame i must get them cleaned and post some for all to see in the spring when i start using them on the lottie  :lol:

when your saying heating oil what is it your using can you be a bit more descriptive is it paraffin because  i know some heating systems run on red derv although i have noted your mixture ;)

griff

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 19:12 »
rowlandwells     I use household oil to mix with petrol.   Anyone in UK who purchase oil to mix with petrol to make tvo is now required to have a licence to do so. The selling dealer will require you to show your licence. You can find more on the Ferguson heritage web site.
www.fofh.co.uk

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 20:22 »
The substance refered to as lamp oil is the fuel we use in greenhouse heaters,Tilley lamps etc,it is of minimal octane.
TVO should be around 50 octane and can be mixed from 28 second home heating oil a drop of petrol
and a sqirt of lubricating oil,sorry I cant tell you the exact quantities as I mix it so the exhaust fumes smell right.
It has been legal to use home mixed TVO fo a couple of years or so.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:05 »
many thanks muckshifter I'm going to note all the replies regarding Tvo mixtures as we are going to start restoring the TVO Ferguson this year there's quite a lot of work to do on this tractor  :unsure:

once again many thanks to all for your helpful replies

RW  :)

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 37 queries.