GIANT PUMPKIN

• 38 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
GIANT PUMPKIN
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2006, 23:07 »
Hi folks,
I have been assisting my pumpkins in pollenation by taking a male and female flower and providing the connection - enough said I think.
The results are very good and each plant I have assisted has a fruit that has doubled in size since I provided help!
There are now 8 Potential giant pumpkin plants on the plot and all have fruit on them.  Half are being fed on beer slops as a test and it would appear at present that those getting the extra feed are doing better then those not.
I have been to a local show today - Leigh in Surrey - and although the entrance was good the quality was down on previous years.  Most people put this down to the watering , but I dont beleive that!  We have restrictions, but the site I am on won a majortiy of the prizes simply because the vegatables were better tended.
My confidence has risen for the Spetembewr show locally.  Simply because I could have beaten a number of entrance in the competition today IF I had entered the group. Role on September 16th.  I will post the results - however I fair!!!!!
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
I'v got pumkins
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 20:28 »
Hi Every one,
I have put my prize pumpkins on trays but found one had fallen off; I went to pick it up and was surprised how heavy it was.
I have 5 large pumpkins on 4 plants and my girls and there partners are going to have a BBQ on Saturday and have a big carve up and make early Halloween lanterns, hope the car can take the strain.
Most are a dark orange but two are creamy in colour, don't know if this matters.
Reg.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

cathbaddeley

beer for giant pumpkins
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 14:11 »
i was watching the big dig  on telly and to get giant pumpkins a tip one of the plot holders gave was to give  your pumpking a drink of beer/lager about 18ins from the roots and apparently it works wonders. I myself have planted my pumpkins and swashes in a pile of cow muck and they are growing  and swelling like triffids. :tongue2:  :lol:

cath

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
GIANT PUMPKIN
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 08:14 »
so glad i allowed a large space for my pumpkins as theve spread like wildfire,we have 2 smallish ones and one that is now bigger than a basketball,im determined to get kids in local paper with it :lol:
guess ill have to find a good pumpkin recipe :lol:

milkman

GIANT PUMPKIN
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 17:36 »
Oh well, it seems I am not destined to win the family giant pumpkin comp this year - my promising pumpkin got to about small rugby ball size and then started going spongy on its bottom so I chopped it off in disgust.  The plant is now sporting 3 or 4 replacement pumpkins which are probably not going to reach epic proportions... :cry:
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
GIANT PUMPKIN
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 20:03 »
Oh I am sorry to hear about your pumpkin milkman.  Maybe next year eh?

shaun

GIANT PUMPKIN
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 11:15 »
another thing you have to think of is the wind if your plot is exposed then the wind might blow the pumkin plant and the fruit will snap off,so peg it down with hooped wire or something similar (i use welding rods). this happened to me last year,just took a walk down there and the wind is realy gusty its broke a number of sweetcorn on the plot next to mine.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Organic Cragg

How am I doing?
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 18:29 »
Hello All,
I am currently growing a pumpkin for a competion. As this is my first time I am not sure how I compare to other growers. It has about a 68 inch circumference and weighs about 75 lbs (see www.organiccraggle.blogspot.com for pictures).

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
GIANT PUMPKIN
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2006, 14:40 »
wow thats a whopper, i thought ours was big at 47",dont know how well move them from site :lol:

xx
Giant pumpkin help

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2015, 22:58
by boddy
xx
Giant Pumpkin

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 12:14
by Aidy
xx
Moving a Giant Pumpkin - How to?

Started by flowerpower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 10:01
by Salmo
clip
giant pumpkin competition

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2021, 13:56
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 34 queries.