Lily beetles

• 11 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Lily beetles
« on: June 04, 2007, 23:00 »
After growing lilies, mainly in containers, for about 10 years with no trouble, last year I had an infestation of lily beetles. I flattened every one I found, removed eggs and grubs, but I am sure some must have escaped. I keep looking out for them but haven't seen anything yet. Does anyone know what time of year they normally appear?

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Lily beetles
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 23:46 »
never heard of lilly beetles :? i also have lilles in my garden what should i look out for?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Lily beetles
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:44 »
I get the little b*@@ers on my lilies too  :evil:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Lily beetles
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:52 »
Miss Muffet,
They are rather handsome scarlet beetles. Last year I thought at first they were cardinal beetles and left them alone until I realised my mistake. The grubs, usually under the leaves, are blobs of muck since they cover themselves with their own faeces. I found that soap solution got rid of them.

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Lily beetles
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:36 »
thanks i checked my lillies this morning and they look fab.
wish i could say the same for me strawberrys :?

Trillium

Lily beetles
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 16:11 »
The beetles lay eggs in early spring  and the larvae hatch a week later and spend the next 2-3 weeks chowing down everything in sight. True, they do cover themselves in faeces to deter predators, but with gloves on, it's your best method of killing them. They also drop to the ground if predators are around, so first lay a light coloured sheet, cloth, towel, etc all around each plant as you pick and the darker beetle or larvae will be more visible against it and you can stomp or squish. Also, dig up the first 1/2 inch of soil around the plant from time to time and be prepared for the little beggars to spring out. If it's really a bad infestation, then use a systemic insecticide asap as well as at spring emergence.  Oh, and after you squish them, put every single one in a trash bag which you'll then dispose of or burn - they're very good at playing dead.  Sadly, there are no natural predators as yet.

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Lily beetles
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 16:24 »
Yes, that habit of drop[ing when disturbed is annoying. For a brightly coloured beetle they di disappear easily, but when I have squished they are definitely not playing dead.
What I don't understand is that after being over-run last year, I have so far only seen one and that was in early spring. I can hardly believe that I eradicated them last year.

Trillium

Lily beetles
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 03:08 »
It's the adults that drop most of the time and they land on their backs deliberately to expose their black bellies, which makes them blend into the ground and hard to find. Hence the light coloured cloth first.

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Lily beetles
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 14:38 »
dam spoke to soon  :twisted:

my lille flowered yesterday in a lovely yellow flower looked to day a little closer and something has nibbled the petal round the edges the rest of the plant is fine could this be a beetle?

Trillium

Lily beetles
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 18:54 »
The adult beetle itself has a red back and black belly. By itself it doesn't do a lot of damage, but if it is one, SQUISH! It could be a pregnant female which you definitely don't want. Check the undersides of the leaves for little egg clusters and definitely squish any of those.

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
Lily beetles
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 08:12 »
I read somewhere that 4pm is the best time to find them, they come out onto the leaves then. It seems to be true, too. Don't know if you have to adjust time depending on how far north you are. I grow hundreds of lilies and patrol every day. At least they're easy to see, and you get the knack of catching them after the first few hundred. And mine aren't playing at dead after I finish with them, either.

Trillium

Lily beetles
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 14:21 »
That's because you're not as squeamish as most people, Jackie  :lol: And the average person assumes if they fall to the ground it's because they're dead - that's where the bug is good at acting.

clip
Lily Beetles

Started by sunshineband on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2019, 11:13
by mumofstig
xx
Stag Beetles

Started by Shieldsy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2014, 08:18
by sunshineband
xx
Rose Beetles

Started by catllar on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 13:16
by catllar
xx
Lilly Beetles

Started by spottymint on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 07:32
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 35 queries.