When and how do you apply nematodes?

• 8 Replies

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
« on: April 19, 2007, 21:17 »
The allotment is under way slowly and i havent a clue about nematode application or actually even if i need them on the lottie, however i think in my garden the nematodes would be a real plant saver.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

crowndale

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:41 »
Usually now would be a good time as slugs like it damp.  I applied my first lot about three weeks ago.  You either need a watering can or a special applicator for the hose.  Basically you mix the powdered nematodes into the water, spour it over the patch (avoiding vegetation if poss to save wastage) and then give it another water.  you'll get full instructions on the packet.  The ground needs to stay damp I think for around two weeks to be effective.  that said the first slugs I have seen this year I saw yesterday under grass that had been wetted every day prior to turning it over (not nematoded).  haven't seen any on my vege patch at all this year, but I used the nematodes last year as well.  The sellers reckon you need to apply every 6 weeks for full protection from underground slugs.  I have noticed a decimation of the snail population as well although it isn't aimed at or cliaming to control these.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

WG.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 08:52 »
I haven't used them but I seem to remember reading about a minimum soil temperature for application ...

mkhenry

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 21:37 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I haven't used them but I seem to remember reading about a minimum soil temperature for application ...

WG is right yet again. They are temperature sensitive and you need to follow the instructions carefully. However although they do work very well the are very expensive,and if a gardener like WG has never used them perhaps you should think do you really need them.What problem are you trying to cure.Do you in fact have a problem. If you are not sure check around have any other lottie holders used them.If they have why if not save your money and spend it on compost and manure. :D
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

WG.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 23:05 »
Thank you, mkhenry, for your kind words.

There is no perfect answer to the slug problem but I have formulated a philosophy which helps me to cope.  Basically, I just accept that some losses are inevitable.   Granted I have a large garden & hence have the luxury of planting more than I expect to survive, but I also tend to keep plants in reserve (in containers) to replant any gaps which arise.

mkhenry

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 23:21 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Thank you, mkhenry, for your kind words.

There is no perfect answer to the slug problem but I have formulated a philosophy which helps me to cope

In other words you have learned to live with nature instead of fighting it all the time .A very wise philosophy indeed. And very much in accordance with all the great gardeners. Seeds should nowadays be planted with this thought in mind.
One for the slug, one for the crow, one to rot, and one to grow.
This plus your great attidude to your little foes will always win in the end. You will get a better and healthier crop and great peace of mind. :D  :D  :D

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:09 »
I'm planning to apply my nematodes either tomorrow or Monday, if it's rained.  I've got a few too many slugs hiding under all my lovely mulches (especially under the black plastic on the spud beds) and there's a limit to what I can do with a pair of scissors  :twisted:

I used them last year, and they were very effective - just one application in June (I didn't plant until late in the year, as had only just got my plot) did the whole season, pretty much.  Soil needs to be at 5C, btw.

With a mostly organic approach, I'm resigned to some losses, but I'm still going to use everything in the armoury if it means I can yet the best yield from the space and effort I'm putting in!

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 18:09 »
I used nemaslug 3 years running and walloped the slug population. The snail population exploded to fill the ecological niche left empty and now I have millions of snails. Any kind of 'control' has consequenses.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 18:13 »
Oh *.  Hadn't thought of that!

xx
Nematodes

Started by wapello on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 00:15
by mrsbean
question
Nematodes

Started by Coach on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2010, 17:11
by Kleftiwallah
xx
what do people think of using Nematodes

Started by flowerpot girl on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 12:17
by lettice
xx
Frogs and nematodes ?

Started by andtiggertoo on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 10:48
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 35 queries.