Lambs Ears (stachys lantana)

• 2 Replies

dawninspain

« on: April 13, 2007, 12:39 »
I have a lovely clump of lambs ears which looks fine on the top but underneath is a horrid mess of dead leaves, woodlice etc. Does anyone know if you should try to pull out the dead material etc or just leave it? I am concerned with all the wet weather we have had recently that the rotting leaves might affect the good growth on top.

The plants are impossible to buy here and I have tried without success to raise it from seed. The clump I have was grown from a small pot which I brought back from the UK with me so I don't want to lose, it in fact I would like to make more, so my second query is has anyone had any success with cuttings and if so how?

Thank you, Dawn

milkman

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 15:05 »
I have found them to be tough as old boots and ready to live on for ever.  

My advice would be to dig the entire clump up, select a few youngish looking bits that look like they may be prepared to send out roots and replant them after enriching the soil with a good dose of compost, or grow them on in pots or a grow bag first.

Good luck.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 18:22 »
stachys are hot sunny weather plants, the reason why they have those velvety leaves. If you're having lots of rain, then they'll suffer, so replant them on a mound so the water drains away from them. They really hate wet feet. And pulling out old growth helps. As for seeds, forget it, they are mega slow to germinate.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.