woddy the woodlouse

• 7 Replies

always_mowing

woddy the woodlouse
« on: April 03, 2007, 19:01 »
Hi All.

Just wondering if anybody else around the country has noticed the massive increase in the woodlouse population these days....the wee blighters are under everything....pots, bricks, slabs, eveywhere... :!:

i assume they must do some damage to the plants right?....or not?

any help on persuading them to vacate their homes.?

Many thanks.
Tom

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
woddy the woodlouse
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 19:16 »
If you want to get rid of your wood lice send them to me  :!: They can be a problem in the greenhouse but are benificial in the garden feeding mostly on dead plant material and recycling it as nutrients into the soil.

I'll swap my slugs for your woodlice  :lol:

Trillium

woddy the woodlouse
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 19:47 »
Woodlice are dependent on moisture to survive, not surprising that in spring their numbers are great. As Aunt Sally said, they're good for chewing up dead plant matter and such into smaller bits.
If you feel you've got too many of these otherwise helpful creatures, then make sure 'problem' areas become drier, eg put away unneeded items, lift pot bases off the ground, floors, etc with props, hang hoses rather than leave them on the ground, clear up dead and flopping vegetation, etc. If they can't find damp, dark places to live, then they move on.

MrsMak

woddy the woodlouse
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 22:01 »
Not really relevant (sorry!) but reminds me of when my eldest was in Infants school and I had to keep her home and do the treatment for nits.  So we were walking down the street heading for the chemist's when we met someone  we knew who asked if she was poorly.  Before I could answer, the three year old burst out with, "Jessica's got WOODLICE!"
Would-be organic but still learning!

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
woddy the woodlouse
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 22:03 »
sowbugs, as i call them as it's a bit cuter, are opportunistic so you might find them nibbling in an apple but that's only because they've made some other pest's hole in the apple large enough to keep them fed. They're suppose to be quite neutral to plants in general. I think some people might mistake them for overgrown mealybugs sometimes, though.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

always_mowing

woodlouse, woodlice, sowbugs
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 18:40 »
Hi All.

Many thanks for your speedy replies...i feel safer with them around the garden now you have all given me good info about them...

Aunt Sally...without this new info i would have gladly posted them to you by the hundreds....but it's the collecting of them i'm not keen on... :wink:

Trillium...i've cleared all the items to try prevent the cool damp areas...thanks...it looks better even if it didn't help..(but i'm sure it will)...i feel fitter anyways.

Really appreciate the help.
Tom.

Trillium

woddy the woodlouse
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 22:07 »
The clearing up will definitely help especially as it gets closer to summer and places like container bottoms become drier with possible drought. The bugs actually cuddle close to each other for moisture and when the moisture dries up, they must move on during the evening. When you clear up, it's amazing how many possible places they found to hide under. It'll also help reduce midge populations by emptying all stagnant water holders.  :wink:

hermon

woddy the woodlouse
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:46 »
i think they are cute mr and mrs woody!!

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 34 queries.