Buttercups, and how to kill them?

• 21 Replies

crowndale

« on: April 01, 2007, 18:42 »
I have buttercups slowly taking over my garden, well rapidly actually. Last year I killed them off with a strong weed killer in the borders but this year they are back with a vengeance and beginning to take over the lawn and have even been found in part of the vege patch before I dug it over.  At the moment I am digging the things out but worry in case leaving any tiny fragment of root might lead to an even greater invasion next year.  

So, what will kill them off once and for all (at least in teh flower beds).  They are very pretty but nothing else gets the chance to grow once they take off.  Thanks.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Buttercups, and how to kill them?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 18:52 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
I have buttercups ... Last year I killed them off with a strong weed killer ... this year they are back with a vengeance

Which "strong" weed killer did you use :?: Glyphosate should see them off  :!:

Not for  use on the lawn though, a horrmonal spot treatment would be better.  2,4-d springs to mind,  I'll just go look...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 19:02 »
Here you go, this is the type of thing:

http://www.gardenhealth.com/product/6/97

crowndale

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 19:23 »
Thanks aunt sally,  I used round up I think (that is the bottle I still have and I think I bought the same stuff for the buttercups!  It was a year ago so who knows?  :? ).  Will leaving small bits of root (not intentionally of course!) mean regrowth if I just dig them out?

shaun

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 19:32 »
always though buttercups liked wet/damp ground if i'm right then drainage could be worth looking at in the long term
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

crowndale

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 19:36 »
Well the ground is definitely damp if the amount of moss it grows as well is anything to go by.  It is clay based so is often very soggy after a lot of rain and we get a lot of rain here!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 20:30 »
Look at your drainage for a long term solution as Shaun says they like it damp. If you don't want to spray you could just dig em up unless you've got masses.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

WG.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 20:41 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
Thanks aunt sally,  I used round up I think (that is the bottle I still have and I think I bought the same stuff for the buttercups!  It was a year ago so who knows?  :? ).  Will leaving small bits of root (not intentionally of course!) mean regrowth if I just dig them out?
I don't think creeping buttercup regrows from root fragments.  I think seed persists in the soil, comes in with manure and may even be windblown.

I get loads of them on free-draining soil so they don't need dampness.

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 21:22 »
get a garden fork and dig it straight down into the ground avery 3 inches . work to a pattern across the lawn now spread sharp builders sand as you go brush it in  depending on how big an area you have a bag from B& Q's will cost ya about £2 spread this over 4 squre yards  brush it in well
this will help drain the soil  when you notince that it has an effect on the moss use a weed and feed mosskiller and broadleaved weedkiler safer for grass ( grass is not a broad leaf so will be fine  this should help . if its a serios moisture problem .decide when the lowest point in the garden is and aim to that spot by lifting the turf up  by placing 2 string lines down and then cut the turf along these lines now every foot  cut through from one string to the other and lift the turf . now carfully dig out the soil to a spits depth and back fill this with fine pebbles to a depth of six inches now lay a replace the soil and level replace the turf and brush some loose soil into any gaps created . water it in and leave ,
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 21:50 »
We've got creeping buttercup on both sides of our in/out driveway.  It does get damp because it takes the run off water from the road which is higher than our drive.  I've used both roundup and glyphosate on it, and it still comes back.  Difficult to dig it out because it has some gravel left on it, and we can't afford to get it re-gravelled!

We've also got it on the bottom of the garden which is the lowest place so gets the dampest, but as I'm hoping to take that over for veggies, I'm not that worried about that bit  as I will dig it all out eventually.  Its just the drive that gets on my nerves.  doesn't look nice when anyone visits.

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 21:53 »
try salt . normal kitchen salt ,. cheap saxo etc . just use a fork and poke holes. pour the salt in the holes   dont use this on the bit ya gonna use for veggies tho just the drive  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 22:09 »
Oooh, thanks Munty, I'll give that one a go.  Try anything once me!!!!

Will let you know how I get on with it.

shaun

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 22:11 »
me old fella used to kill dandilions  like that in our lawn,always thought he was a bit odd crawling around on his hands and knees with a tub of saxo  :lol:

ziggywigs

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 22:12 »
Vinegar will do the same thing.

shaun

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 22:16 »
what about salt and vinegar just to be safe  8)

xx
Will this kill the bulbs?

Started by fisher on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 19:27
by snowdrops
xx
how to kill red ants

Started by captain beeky on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 23:46
by WG.
xx
how to kill couch grass

Started by ricky on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2015, 20:07
by moose
xx
How to kill grass in gravel !!!!

Started by Mischief on General Gardening

24 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 21:21
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.