Water Charges Threat to Allotments

• 118 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Water Charges Threat to Allotments
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2009, 21:33 »
But the response from Downing Street says:-

"Ofwat advocated a move towards site area-based charging for non-household customers, so that each customer pays a fair share for the load imposed on the drainage system.  Many water companies are now moving towards surface water drainage charging based on site area.

It is for individual companies to set their own charging schemes and for Ofwat as the independent economic regulator to approve them.

The Government supports site area charging for surface water drainage in principle."

That's lovely...... "area based charging for non-household based customers."

So without connection to the sewage system you are not a non-household based customer no matter how big your area is.

It would be similar to me receiving a bill from a gas company when I do not receive a gas supply. Are the forestry commission expecting to pay for remote areas of land where there is no surface water drainage provision which connects to a sewer?

Paying a fair share of the load based on the drainage system does sound fair.... if you in any way contribute to that load in your use of a particular allotment. Mine doesn't.

PS Nice red - I got told off for using blue as it's hard for some of us to read, apparently.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Oliver

« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48 »
.... response from Downing Street ...

Having 'stood up to 'officialdom' against  the sale of allotment land for building (and won), experience tells me that one does not give up at the first sign of a set back or gobbledegook from some faceless bod. Officialdom will always give one a load of flannel, thinking we are too dim to understand the small print. Well perhaps we are. But the Downing Street response does not mention allotments -

The petition clearly stated "... non-household users that are not businesses, including community facilities (which will include such as allotments, sports grounds etc), places of worship, charities and voluntary bodies..."

they say: " it is clearly wrong if customers such as faith buildings, community sports clubs and scout huts are facing increases in their bills ". 

I say it is clearly wrong that the writer has selectively extracted 'suitable' words but ignored the fundamental reason for the petition. 

So the question is what to do now? Communicate with the writer and point our that our question has not been addressed, and what are they going to do about it? Nearly 1000 people signed up to this. I would like to see in words of one syllable, that allotments will not be charged for surface water drainage, because the water does not drain away to water company supplied drains.  We are more concerned about keeping it on the plot to water our crops.

Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Paul Plots

« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2009, 20:57 »
.... response from Downing Street ...

Having 'stood up to 'officialdom' against  the sale of allotment land for building (and won), experience tells me that one does not give up at the first sign of a set back or gobbledegook from some faceless bod. Officialdom will always give one a load of flannel, thinking we are too dim to understand the small print. Well perhaps we are. But the Downing Street response does not mention allotments -

The petition clearly stated "... non-household users that are not businesses, including community facilities (which will include such as allotments, sports grounds etc), places of worship, charities and voluntary bodies..."

they say: " it is clearly wrong if customers such as faith buildings, community sports clubs and scout huts are facing increases in their bills ". 

I say it is clearly wrong that the writer has selectively extracted 'suitable' words but ignored the fundamental reason for the petition. 

So the question is what to do now? Communicate with the writer and point our that our question has not been addressed, and what are they going to do about it? Nearly 1000 people signed up to this. I would like to see in words of one syllable, that allotments will not be charged for surface water drainage, because the water does not drain away to water company supplied drains.  We are more concerned about keeping it on the plot to water our crops.

An excellent response and suggestion........ So who is drafting the question that we can all consider signing?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2009, 20:25 »
There has apparently been a reprieve.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8279467.stm
Cheese makes everything better.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2009, 20:30 »
 :D  Great bit of news Ice, thanks  :D :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2009, 23:28 »
The nasty Labour government passed this law but if we vote for Labour at the next election then they'll repeal the nasty law.. hmmm, this could change politics as we know them. Sorry, cynical, me??

Just once they could stand up and say 'we didn't think it through when we drafted this law' but they never do.

Oh, just in case anyone has the wrong impression - I'm not party political.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Paul Plots

« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2009, 00:47 »
That really is going to be good news to many ears...

Now I wont be quite so moany when our warden turns the taps off in October!

Reminder: I must remember to take some drinking water for the kettle!

peterjf

« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2009, 10:31 »
here in darkest east yorkshire ,

we just started being charged £5-00 per annum extra for water,

we pay £25-00 to rent the plot (250 sq yards) ,

not a bad price,

but the water charge can be amended if people abuse the water usage

peterjf

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2010, 13:58 »
Hull city council already charging us plot keepers an extra £5-00 per 250 sq yds plot , i have 2 plots , so get charged extra £ 10-00 each year, we dont like the extra charges but what can you do

Paul Plots

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2010, 21:39 »
The rent for my 1.5 plots (12 rod) is already £45 a year... I'm not sure I'd appreciate another tenner on top of that  :(

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2010, 13:25 »
I have to say I wouldnt want an increase on our water supply (currently £5 per year - but there are taps every 20m or so which is incredibly convenient) but if it happens, so be it. At the end of the day it is not expensive running an allotment and the sheer amount of ££ saved each year with grown produce (even considering start up costs and costs of seeds etc) far outweighs this slight negative.

But then having a plot for the enjoyment of it is priceless.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Paul Plots

« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2010, 00:05 »

But then having a plot for the enjoyment of it is priceless.

Never a truer word!  ;)

Thamesmeadhammer

• Tony & Ali's Allotment
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2010, 14:06 »
plenty of water on mine at the moment !!! :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2010, 01:14 »
plenty of water on mine at the moment !!! :D
Grab some of it into a water-butt for the summer drought & hose-pipe ban  ::)

angry
Councils Selling Off Allotments

Started by John on Growing FAQs and other Information

96 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 23:10
by carlrmj

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 37 queries.