Growing Leek Seedlings In Cat Litter Trays

• 17 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« on: November 09, 2008, 20:46 »
Apologies to those who have seen this before, but it keeps cropping up & I've been asked to make a specific link to it from the "Useful Sites & Topics" sticky. So far it's only existed tagged onto other threads & is harder to find.

This might seem a bit painstaking, but I find it well worth the effort......

I use cat litter trays, as they are nice & deep, be sure to make holes in the bottom though - a hot skewer will do the job. Don't try to drill them - the plastic will crack! I use compost from grow bags, as it seems one of the cheaper ways to buy it.

Now here's the painstaking bit, I plant the seed, (mid-March), individually 1" apart 1/2 deep. That way they don't crowd each other out. I get nearly 100% germination in the cold greenhouse.

One of these trays will produce 96 plants. Compost has to be kept moist. When a reasonable size they can be moved outside to grow on. I then transplant when they are the thickness of a pencil.

1st photo is at the early stages of germination.....
2nd at pencil thickness....

just.JPG
leeks pencil.JPG
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 18:50 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 20:52 »
gonna try this next year........just 1 question...

do you have to feed these again before transplanting or is there enough feed in the grow bag compost to last till transplanting? I just want to get it right!
Thanks
Lesley

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 21:08 »
I'd forgotten thatr tip Dave.  I'm definitly going to have a go at that next year  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 21:38 »
Quote from: "mumofstig"
gonna try this next year........just 1 question...

do you have to feed these again before transplanting or is there enough feed in the grow bag compost to last till transplanting? I just want to get it right!
Thanks
Lesley

No, I just leave them to it.

I also use exactly the same principle with radish. Come out perfect with no slug nibbles!

vegmandan

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 22:12 »
Another similar thing that I find useful are the polystyrene boxes that the greengrocers get Broccolli delivered in.

They just chuck 'em away so they'll give you them for free.

Same idea,deep sided so you get good strong plants ready for planting out,and the polystyrene helps to keep the warmth in at night.

They come in all sizes 12"x18" to 2ftx2ft.and are handy for all sorts of other stuff as they have a lid on too. :)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 14:40 »
Good ideas but styrofoam cases are mostly banned over here and I'm not sure the cat will let me have her 'duty pan'.  :?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 15:46 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Good ideas but styrofoam cases are mostly banned over here and I'm not sure the cat will let me have her 'duty pan'.  :?

Some people really like to create obstacles! :lol:

SalJ1980

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 18:47 »
Thanks for that DD! Now can I get some advice from the leek doctor please?  :lol:

I tried sowing leeks this year but they just got to the stage when they were about as thick as a (thin!) blade of grass, and then they all just fell over and stopped growing. My spring onions did the same. I love both veggies and want to grow them next year - preferably successfully! Help please!  :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 19:36 »
Errrrr TBH, I don't know.

I've never encountered any problems with leeks, so it's outside my sphere of experience.

By book tells me that leaf wilt can be caused by too much fresh manure or nitrogen in the soil, but I really don't know & I'm not a guesser!

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 21:46 »
Leeks falling over - probably got hit by damping off fungus. You'll need to spray soil with a proprietary solution specifically for this, or a strong brew of Cooled chamomile tea. In future be less generous with the watering and make sure drainage is good and there's no cold draft on them just yet.

As for the styrofoam - our ecology laws here are changing due to decreasing dump sites and styrofoam is a terrible offender. Even the famous double arches replaced their styro containers with cardboard type ones which will compost better. Most veggies now come in cardboard boxes.

Paul Plots

Loads of leeks.....
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 23:30 »
DD says:
This might seem a bit painstaking, but I find it well worth the effort......

Sowing leeks in large deep trays works brilliantly. My 93 yr old Dad starts the leeks off in his unheated greenhouse for me every year. He sticks a whole packet of seed into one tray in three rows giving about 30 plants per row.

The leeks grow close together in the tray but are easily separated at planting out time especially if grown in compost with high peat content.

The leeks are eventually placed out in a cold-frame and then, in Spring out in the open. Once pencil thick I take the tray (1 or two) to plant out on our plot. Normally excellent results...

That big firm up the road beginning with "B and" something sell the trays we use at about the same price as the average cat litter tray...I think.

I must take some pictures and figure out how to get them on to this site! :?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing Leek Seedlings In Cat Litter Trays
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 12:43 »
My leeks get to pencil thickness and then I plant them out but they never really seem to get very fat or long  ??? they might get to double the thickness of a pencil but no more than that...what am I doing wrong  :unsure:

bigben

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 12:55 »
what is your soil like Nipper? perhaps they need a good feed, some manure into the soil prior to planting perhaps. If your soil is already fertile then I dont really know why they are not growing.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 13:14 »
what is your soil like Nipper? perhaps they need a good feed, some manure into the soil prior to planting perhaps. If your soil is already fertile then I dont really know why they are not growing.

The soil mustn't be very fertile then, I took over the plot in 2007 and this will be my third growing season. Some ground is still in desperate need of cultivation  :ohmy:

Swing Swang

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 08:54 »
I'm just wondering what are the advantages to this method. I tend to sow my leeks directly into a seedbed (outside) and cover with a coldframe. Consequently they need less attention, particularly with respect to watering; and germination with leeks, even in cold soil is pretty good. The only advantage I can see with the cat-litter trays is that they don't take up garden space early on in the season, or am I missing something else?

SS

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 37 queries.