Why aren't my hens laying?

• 4 Replies

spicerider27

« on: March 19, 2008, 14:40 »
Can any one help?  I have 15 hens and only one is laying eggs.  They are all a year old.  The one thats laying is my escape artist, she won't stay in the pen so I have just let her free range about the yard.  How can I get my other hens to start laying?

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 15:21 »
I am sure they will in their own time :lol: are you absolutely sure they are not laying??? they can be very sneaky sometimes - and you may find a clutch of them tucked away somewhere. Did they lay last year? Also I am sure they are but a balanced diet of mainly layers mash/pellets encourages them to lay.
What breed are they would love some piccys!

spicerider27

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 15:44 »
I have two Buff Orphingtons hens, and the rest are Rhode Island Reds.  They are in a penned up area with a coop, so I know none of those ones are hiding eggs,  I have one RIR hen that stays out and shes the only one laying.  Her comb is large and bright, the other hens' are pale and tiny.  They get layer pellets, and just started giving osyter shell.  I'll try getting some pics up soon.
Hope they start laying eggs soon, I'm hungry  :lol: !

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 16:01 »
Orpingtons are lovely! I have one she has started to growl and fluff up so I suspect shes going broody :? If yours have small pale combs still a little too young to lay, so those lovely scrumptious 4 egg omlettes  may have to wait a little! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  sorry didnt rub it in did I? :wink:

spicerider27

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 16:12 »
Not at all!  They are great birds.  I wish I had gotten more of them than the RI Reds.  They grow bigger than the reds too.  I got them March '07,  and by the begining of September I was getting 7 eggs a day until December and they all stopped.  I am pretty sure that both the buff hens were laying, but it hard to tell.  When one hen jumped off the nest, another would jump on!  Usually there were three or four eggs in two different nests every day :shock:
I'm wondering if theres something they're not getting.  Also if theres a way to get them to lay.

xx
How do you know which hens are laying and which ones aren't?

Started by MellowYellow on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 13:49
by MellowYellow
xx
Why aren't some of my girls laying yet?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 12:48
by Hensington
xx
Chickens Aren't Laying

Started by Pig Cat on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 21:46
by Pig Cat
xx
Hens not laying yet

Started by upert on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 21:44
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 35 queries.