Seed order disappointment

• 15 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Seed order disappointment
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:31 »
So I put a seed order in via the allotment shop (20% off, all major suppliers catalogues) and ordered from 3 different reputable suppliers. This is the first time I've ordered seed by mail.

Having collected them yesterday I am disappointed. Many packs are 2-3 year old seed and go out of date this year or next (meaning I cant save half for next year) and the 2 bulbs of Mersley Wight Garlic; one looks fresh and white, the other like it's been smoked then dipped in creosote!

The biggest disappointment is a pack of exotic seeds I paid 4 quid for, states you can plant all year round indoors, yet goes out of date in July!

Is this par for the course when ordering seeds? Is it normal to return much of an order? If so, in future I'll pay the extra 20% and select my own seed knowing it's fresh.

Bah moan whinge... :mad:

Christine

Re: Seed order disappointment
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:46 »
No that certainly isn't the way we do our seed order at our allotment shop and hasn't been in the 11 years I've bought from there. All seed is fresh and in date so there shouldn't be any problem there. We also let out members have a look at catalogue or onsite before we do the order so that they can ask for what they want if there is something special that we wouldn't usually stock.

Garlic bulbs can be a thing - I've had dud bulbs from the fresh stock put out at the garden centre one year. I find like others that direct from the Garlic Farm has been good for me and other members of our association.

If you  have a local Wilko they do the common run of seeds at decent prices and so far have proved to be reliable in growing is sometimes slightly smaller numbers in the packet.

I did have one bad year with a well known national supplier who had problems in the warehouse with water and the packets had obviously been damp so were selling off cheap online.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:42 »
At this time of year I would definitely expect all seed to have been packaged last year (an element of trust is required as to when the seed was actually harvested:unsure:)

Unless the 20% discount was specifically conditional on being supplied with almost out of date seed and what sounds like a rotting garlic bulb  ::), I'd ask the allotment shop to send them back for replacement or refund (I'm assuming the order was made by the shop on your behalf so the contract is with them rather than yourself.)

(I've got several packets of seed on order from an online seller - I've used them before with no problems and will let you know the packaging dates when they arrive.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 13:06 »
I'd be extremely unhappy if that happened to me so I'd complain and don't accept a refund.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 13:35 »
The way it works here is you can select whatever you want from the catalogues, then the shop will submit your form with everyone elses to the suppliers in one big order. As they arrive at the shop you go and get them, so its the suppliers at fault here, not the shop. I thought it would be easier and save time.

Last years is fine but I don't want to see 2017 on a seed packet, or "sow before" dates earlier than the end of the sowing season shown on the packet!

The garlic is disappointing as I've had difficulty getting that Mersley Wight and the Garlic Farm someone mentioned lost my custom due to hidden charges.

I'll be complaining but won't be ordering online again, it's been a pain.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 20:53 »
I agree with others - unless the discount was for older seed, I'd be unhappy too!  Maybe they're trying to move some old stock?

I bought some garlic from The Garlic Farm a few years ago, and it failed miserably in my new raised bed.  Upon contacting them, they admitted that one of their beds had been 'contaminated' and offered me a discount the next year.  Needless to say, I didn't take them up on their offer and bought locally and have been saving bulbs for re-planting (while waiting for the bed to recover).

A few weeks ago, I bought some of my favourite Orange Paruche tomato seeds from fleabay, before I noticed that the chap sold mainly heritage seeds.  Upon messaging him, it appears that these are 'F2' (saved seeds), which I can't risk growing due to only having a small garden (even if they do germinate, I could end up with anything or nothing)....

There are many seeds that will be fine (even well after their sow by dates), but I would be disappointed (and complain) too, especially if you were expecting good quality seed.

AM

AM
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 06:34 »
No mention of the discount being for old seed, there are 400+ plots on our site so I assumed the discount was to entice plot holders to make a big joint order.

To be fair to the Garlic Farm, when I pointed out the issue with their website (postage showing as £0.00 right up until the final part of the payment process when £4.99 was suddenly added) they didn't offer free postage but they did try quite hard to find a supplier local to me. At least they tried and their customer service was helpful and friendly.

I'll let you know how the complaints go!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 15:51 »
1st response back already:

"Thank you for your email

As this order was placed under an allotment group, unfortunately we can only liaise with the Organiser.

Please feel free to direct your query to them

Kind Regards"

No apology or anything...  :mad:

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 16:09 »
And the 2nd, much better thankfully... these get my custom again.

"Thank you for your email.

I am very sorry to hear that one of your Garlic bulbs was in such poor condition.

We do have a fresh lot of Garlic coming in from our supplier on Tuesday of next week and I will arrange for some to be sent out to you.

In this light please let me have your address details.

Kind Regards"

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 17:40 »
I've got several packets of seed on order from an online seller - I've used them before with no problems and will let you know the packaging dates when they arrive.)
Just for the record, 8 packets of seeds, all labelled 'packed January 2019'  ::), and 'sow by January 2021'.
One size fits all!   :unsure:
Seller is Premier Seeds Direct; no reason to suspect they won't be reliable at this point in time.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 18:14 »
I've got several packets of seed on order from an online seller - I've used them before with no problems and will let you know the packaging dates when they arrive.)
Just for the record, 8 packets of seeds, all labelled 'packed January 2019'  ::), and 'sow by January 2021'.
One size fits all!   :unsure:
Seller is Premier Seeds Direct; no reason to suspect they won't be reliable at this point in time.

Good call. I'm getting most of mine from moreveg, purely because of reviews, ill check out premier too.

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 16:37 »
This year I failed to order my seeds from allotment order from k*ings seeds. They were offering 40% discount, so thought of ordering mountain magic tomato seeds and few potatoes. I got tomato seeds from eBay with same supplier but for lesser price than their 40 percent discount ,with good few years sow by date. Don't bother about the allotment scheme anymore.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 05:27 »
*sigh*

So the last of my order arrived at the site office, 2 bags of onion sets, one red one white, collected yesterday and was again unhappy with it. This is the last time I order seeds and sets for delivery.

To quote the spiel: "you receive 150 planting sets, 75 of each variety" which was perfect for me, 25 in a row, 3 rows of each. I appreciate this is an estimate but the packs arrived sold by weight and most of the white ones were TINY, miniscule in fact, so much so I ended up with 90 once the rotten/mouldy ones had been removed. Most of these sets were undersized.

The reds, there were only 60 and although about 25-30 were a good size the others were also teeny weeny, the big ones making up the weight.

So I have loads of titchy white sets, more than I need, and too few of the red sets most of which are also too small, all from a so called world class supplier.

I'm furious.

Rant over... :mad:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 08:44 »
Probably last year's unusual weather caused problems for the seed suppliers, I've had problems with seed potatoes this year :(
I know you are disappointed, but small onion sets usually grow successfully and are less likely to make a seed head then bigger sets. You could plant the smaller ones 2 per planting position, to get them all in?
Or start them all off in trays of soil/compost - as long as they root, they'll grow - regardless of their size.
Good luck!

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 12:21 »
 I have to say there's been no probs for both onion sets and seed potatoes from our suppliers indeed our local nursery has 25 varieties of potatoes 3 varieties of onion sets 2 varieties of shallots both a good size and its pick your own so the choice is yours although I've got all my seed i don't need to shop around

i have seen some what i would call not upto  stanadard in some garden centres that i would't buy i have set some of my sets in pots to get them going before now to give them a start but i know how you feel i had some small sets one year from a wellknown supplier never again i like to see what im buying that's why i like my local nursery as said help yourself can't beat it

xx
Got my seed order done

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 00:29
by Paul Plots
xx
All excited about seed order!

Started by Oscar Too on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 11:46
by Oscar Too
xx
Seed Potato Order

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 19:04
by sunshineband
xx
I think ive overdone the seed order..

Started by welsh boyo on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 15:37
by Trillium

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 55 queries.