How do you store your seeds... ie in what order (if any)

• 14 Replies

meriad

How do you store your seeds... ie in what order (if any)
« on: September 18, 2018, 12:44 »
Another morning of pondering how best to do things....

I have a whole lot of packs of seeds - many given to me; loads from magazines I've subscribed to; some I already had.   So the question I have, do you have a particular way you store your seeds, ie alphabetical, by type, by planting time?    At the moment mine are all in a higgledy piggledy mess in a box and in no order whatsoever.  I know one should do what works best, but given most of you have grown veg far longer than I have I thought I'd pick brains to see if there is a 'best way' to keep on top of what you have.

And how long after 'sow by' dates do you keep your seeds?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: How do you store your seeds... ie in what order (if any)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 16:02 »
I store my seeds in a large tin box, with card dividers for each vegetable, all in alphabetical order, then when I have done my sowing and planting plan for the year, the ones to be sown each month are then moved into a file in the correct month, together with any flower seeds that need sowing that month too. If there is to be a second sowing of anything, it gets moved to the second date after the first sowing.

At the end of the season they are all re-sorted back into alphabetical order for a stock take.

Pedantic maybe, but it works for me  :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 17:21 »
Mine are in a small case, but much the same as sunny - stored as Brassicas, peas, beans, squash etc and then taken out and put into a 'sowing' folder each month, as required.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 18:14 »
Mine are in a box in order of month to sow, if they can be sowed over a few months I move them back  as I succession sow. Once I have finished with them I keep the empty packets in  separate place as a reminder and some notes on how they did, as I have a rotten memory!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 19:04 »
mine are in zip lock bags kept in a cool dark place.
The bags are labelled Roots, Brassica, Greenhouse etc
The packets themselves have the date I opened them so I know what should be good and what should be binned.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 20:47 »
I have biscuit tins stored in the cellar.   One each for peas, beans, brassicas, cucurbits, tomatoes, chillies, herbs, flowers, alliums and 'other' (I have a seed problem).

I keep track of what is in each of them by maintaining a seed spreadsheet.  I use that to decide what I am going to grow each year and then go and fish them out of the storage tins.  I use it to make notes about what was good, what was not, and what won prizes at the show.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 22:55 »
I have biscuit tins stored in the cellar.   One each for peas, beans, brassicas, cucurbits, tomatoes, chillies, herbs, flowers, alliums and 'other' (I have a seed problem).

I keep track of what is in each of them by maintaining a seed spreadsheet.  I use that to decide what I am going to grow each year and then go and fish them out of the storage tins.  I use it to make notes about what was good, what was not, and what won prizes at the show.

Pretty much how I do mine too, I'd be lost without my spreadsheet!

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:08 »
I started off with all good intentions by having them in month date for planting order.

A year on they are all jumbled up in a plastic box in the shed.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:52 »
I keep them by type but also keep a record of when I sow each year. This way I can see how many of a similar thing I have to plant and don't end sowing loads of those that get sowed first.

Just placed my order for next year, person carried away as usual and ordered lots of new varieties.

meriad

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 11:11 »
Thanks all, definitely seems to be a system that's do-able...    need to have a dig through what I have and go from there.

But then saying all that....    :lol: :lol: :lol:  This is so me
I started off with all good intentions by having them in month date for planting order.

A year on they are all jumbled up in a plastic box in the shed.

So not going to make any promise how long any system will keep.  But will promise to do my best  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 16:09 »
For years I’ve had my seeds in month order as to when to sow, then last year I resorted into type in alphabetical order, that’s not worked too well for me so I’ll shall be going back to the month by month
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 18:52 »
My seeds are in the large fancy seed box that I treated myself to in order to support a local shop. In sections by type. I keep a planting spread sheet so that I can raid the box as required.

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 19:50 »
During the off season mine are in a large tool box, normally divided into seed type by way of jiffy bag.  During sowing times, they can be found filed in the pockets whatever I was wearing when I sowed them last  ::)

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 16:48 »
we all seem to have our own way of storing our seed the method i use is to keep a seed log for both veg and flower seed

I list the folowing the varietie- sowing date -and price also if there old seed i use that first as a priority keep all the seed in the house in seed [tin] boxes also made a seed box with pigeon holes that i put the packets of seed in that are in the order of sowings then i make note in my seed log say half packet left  or if i need to replace seed used the same goes for the flower seed same principle

jaydig

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 17:22 »
I store mine according to category, and take them out each month as needed.  I tried doing it by month but I'm afraid either life or the weather used to get in the way, and things didn't always get planted exactly when they should have been.  If they're still left in the monthly file then I know I still need to sow them in addition to any others added for that month.

xx
Where to order seeds online please?

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2012, 17:35
by mumofstig
xx
How does everyone store their seeds?

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 15:43
by Trillium
xx
Where do you store your seeds ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 20:20
by rainbow1
xx
WHAT IS THE CORRECT OR BEST WAY TO STORE SEEDS?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 08:59
by jazzbyrd

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 52 queries.