Tomato leaves wilting

• 17 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato leaves wilting
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 10:31 »
I don't, for exactly the reason you suggest, although it does make a difference whether you are growing indoors or outdoors.

Tomatoes tolerate quite a wide variety of humidity levels, and there isn't much you can do about it outdoors, but in a GH or PT too low risks flowers failing to open properly and therefore set, too high risks overheating and stressing the plants, and of course the additional possibility of condensation at night which puts them at greater risk of fungal diseases. My GH plants are watered by an automatic irrigation system, and the (slight) excess which drains onto the concrete floor helps stop the air becoming too dry (if yours feels like the hot house at Kew Gardens you may have been overdoing the damping down!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 12:33 »
I have taken some drastic steps, both applying some shading and also taking out pains of glass to increase the air flow yet it is still mid 30s in the greenhouse tho the plants do look a tad happier now.
Just need to keep an eye on the wind.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 05:14 »
Having grown toms in pots and grobags before it's difficult to keep the watering up as they dry out quickly, so they need topping up once, twice, even 3 times a day. Blossom end rot was always an issue. I now have 8 plants in the ground at the moment and I've had to flood them every day due to the hot weather, 1 can between 2 or 3 plants. They're short for cordon types but flowering nicely nonetheless. I just don't think pots or growbags can contain enough soil to soak up and retain the amount of water they need at this time of year. Just my opinion.

xx
Cumcumber leaves wilting

Started by Top Cat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 21:54
by fivespud364
xx
wilting cucumber leaves

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 18:47
by Totty
xx
wilting celeriac leaves

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:27
by earthing83
xx
Strawberry leaves wilting

Started by bennyjamboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 19:53
by bennyjamboy

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.