A few questions

• 4 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
A few questions
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:30 »
Hi chaps I have a new allotment so this is my first year at this location, the soil is pretty poor and very stoney so I will get a load of muck in the winter ... I have put a few things in and some are good others not so good: nothing to do with the soil but black fly seem to have got stuck into the b/beans and rhubarb, is there any non chemical solution and is it too late (I tried soapy water with no success) ... the squash seems a little stunted and yellow, is this lack of water ? and the onions seem a bit 'skinny' is it too early to worry ?
IMG_0368.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg
IMG_0369.jpg

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:23 »
The onions aren't too bad but the yellow leaves on the courgette would indicate lack of available nitrogen or possibly magnesium deficiency - I'd try some Miracle Gro on the courgette (I meant squash). I know, I know, it's not organic but neither am I. I use artificial fertilisers sparingly as a medicine when I need to quickly sort a nutrient problem.

Not had blackfly on rhubarb - WOW! Actually I wouldn't worry too much about the blackfly, I don't think they do as much harm as some would have you believe if the plant is basically healthy and strong. Since we can't get Derris  :( anymore I'd try SB Invigorator which is organic and effective.

Adding some muck this winter will help no end for next year - do check the pH though, acid soils stop the plants taking up available nutrients. Lime part, muck part and in a year or two you'll transform the plot.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:31 »
If the blackfly is only on the tops of the B beans then pick the leaves off and drown/dispose of them. If it's all over them it is probably best to just pull them up, they'll not amount to much if they're absolutely covered :(
Give the rhubarb a good dousing from the hose, that should do the trick. Squashing with fingers or hosing helps with fly on climbing beans as well, but you have to keep doing it all summer - otherwise you squash one lot and another lot arrives.
The squash just looks like it needs time to get over transplanting, a few liquid feeds should sort it out.
My onions are about the same, water if it's been dry and giving and occasionally add a general liquid fertiliser to the watering helps.

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:38 »
So good of you chaps, I'll follow all advice (can't use a hose on the site though) ... thank you so much, off now to do some 'squishing'.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 15:15 »
Picked all my broad beans yesterday. Blackfly everywhere. Dunked the lot in a bucket of butt water. Fished the beans out, and the blackfly stay in the water. Shelled the beans. All perfect. Into bags in the freezer.

Job done.

xx
Questions, questions, questions...

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 05:20
by Gwiz
xx
2 questions

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 16:43
by Azazello
xx
a few questions

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 23:02
by viettaclark
xx
Tom Questions!

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 07:52
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 36 queries.