Good advice or coincidence

• 19 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Good advice or coincidence
« on: January 07, 2018, 16:50 »
My finger nails had been crumbling for quite a few years. They'd develop ridges where they emerged, these ridges would eventually lead to crumbling and brittle nails on most of my fingers. It never seemed to be something I should bother the GP with so I just convinced myself it was just part of ageing.

Eventually I weakened and asked the pharmacist at our local chemist if he had something with which to treat them. He said the best thing he could recommend was taking multi-vitamin tablets daily. I thought he was just fobbing me off but resolved to try his "cure" for a year. That was three years ago and since then I've had perfect nails once the old crumbling stuff had grown out.

Was this odd remedy a cure that others have discovered or was it pure coincidence? The chiropodist I use for my feet just poo-pooed  the remedy and said I just got lucky

snowdrops

Re: Good advice or coincidence
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 17:02 »
Good advice gets the 👍 from me. I think some people don’t absorb vitamins & minerals as well as others or like they used to. As well it is accepted that there is less of both vitamins & minerals in the foods we eats , 1 of the reasons being that it is mostly intensely farmed these days. I recently took a months course of supplements & found my hair was in much better condition following it. I have previously had problems with hair thinning & falling out(due to the menopause I think) I wondered if any body but me could tell & my husband commented on it (which is remarkable in itself as he’s not the most observant individual to say the least lol)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:25 »
Which supplements did you take, snowdrops?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 14:16 »
It sounds like it was good advice Alan.  :)  We can become deficient of all sorts of minerals/vitamins without a noticeable affect.
I've had a problem with brittle nails and hair loss (due to menopause and medication), and have really noticed a difference since taking high strength Biotin (10,000mcg/day).  It's taken a while, but even the hair dresser couldn't believe what a difference it's made....
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 15:10 »
The vitamin tablets are "Centrum 50+), apparently formulated for us more mature beings

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 16:18 »
Which supplements did you take, snowdrops?
I was taking these
Fat Around the MiddleSupplement Programme | The Natural Health Practice
Very pricey but I’ve had others from there when I was struggling with a bad dose of shingles 4 years ago & they seemed to get me on the road to recovery when nothing else did, plus I’d had hormonal problems for a few years on top.
Currently I’m taking echinacea to boost my immune system after being quite poorly over Christmas
I think I just need to accept I need extra help even though I eat healthily(just a little too much)

al78

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:53 »
Good advice gets the 👍 from me. I think some people don’t absorb vitamins & minerals as well as others or like they used to. As well it is accepted that there is less of both vitamins & minerals in the foods we eats , 1 of the reasons being that it is mostly intensely farmed these days. I recently took a months course of supplements & found my hair was in much better condition following it. I have previously had problems with hair thinning & falling out(due to the menopause I think) I wondered if any body but me could tell & my husband commented on it (which is remarkable in itself as he’s not the most observant individual to say the least lol)

It might be accepted, but by who? The average Joe and Jane with an opinion or scientists who have done rigorous trials? I'm not convinced that vitamin supplements are necessary, and it is possible to get your dietary requirements from real food, intensively farmed or not. If you have a deficiency that is likely due to an issue with your diet than with the food itself.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 12:20 »
When I took a Future Learn course on soils a few years ago i realised that lots of us suffer from Magnesium Deficiency due to farmers overusing chemical fertilizers and leaving the soils depleted of vital minerals.
I now take a daily magnesium tablet and since then have reduced my painkillers and found my headaches have all but gone.
There are lots of websites out there, here is one: WHY We’re All Deficient In Magnesium: Top Signs And What You Can Do
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 12:36 »
al78 : It might be accepted, but by who? The average Joe and Jane with an opinion or scientists who have done rigorous trials?
Accepted by scientists,  who did indeed do trials over many years between 1940 and 1991 on the mineral content of food.
(This bit is obviously just my opinion - I can only assume that matters have stayed the same or maybe got worse, because I can't see that farming generally has improved since then)
It's a large pdf file, which I've posted on the forum before.
http://www.mineralresourcesint.co.uk/pdf/mineral_deplet.pdf
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:38 by mumofstig »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 13:28 »
There are lots of websites out there, here is one: WHY We’re All Deficient In Magnesium: Top Signs And What You Can Do

Interesting list of foods that are good sources of magnesium - green veg - particularly leafy greens, red/orange fruits and veg, pulses and whole grains.  The basics that always seem to crop up as good sources for everything from dietary fibre to antioxidants. 

I personally don't take any supplements, but if they work for you and you look or feel better for them, all power to you.  Couple that with a generally healthy diet, plot grown produce to support this and the exercise involved in growing it.  That sounds like a good mix to me.

I think we all know someone (usually pretty evangelical about it all and a self appointed member of the food police) who gulps down handfuls of pricy pills or vile concoctions, but otherwise has a so-so diet and lifestyle.  As with most things, a common sense approach works best  :)

arh

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 16:11 »
Now that was a very interesting "article" Mum, the obvious question is "is/are these vegetables shop bought or home grown". Is the deficiency in the seed or the feeding??

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 17:47 »
al78 : It might be accepted, but by who? The average Joe and Jane with an opinion or scientists who have done rigorous trials?
Accepted by scientists,  who did indeed do trials over many years between 1940 and 1991 on the mineral content of food.
(This bit is obviously just my opinion - I can only assume that matters have stayed the same or maybe got worse, because I can't see that farming generally has improved since then)

Thanks mum, I hadn’t got the evidence to hand to back up my statement,but know I’ve read it over & over again in various guises,from farming,gardening & nutrition articles over the last 20 or so years.

al78

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 16:39 »

Thanks, I'll have a look at that, may make interesting reading.

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 16:57 »

Thanks, I'll have a look at that, may make interesting reading.

Always good to have another viewpoint😊

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 14:54 »
Just an update. The advice was flawed as despite me taking the multi-vitamins for the past four years, the crumbling nail ailment has returned this year. So far, I've lost two finger nails with another four showing the same symptoms

xx
Good advice from a national garden centre chain

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2019, 20:29
by jezza
xx
a few good men

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2018, 18:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
Good fly sprays.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post July 31, 2018, 14:40
by Kleftiwallah
clip
So was Santa good to you?

Started by snowdrops on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post December 27, 2022, 20:23
by jezza

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 52 queries.