Spreading "poo" and digging it in?

• 5 Replies

Digger the Dog

Spreading "poo" and digging it in?
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:12 »
We got hold of some Pig muck with lots of straw in it back in early Spetember (2017) and did what everyone else seemed to have done and that was to lay it on the surface of the Plot.

Would it now be OK to rotavate it into the ground?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Spreading "poo" and digging it in?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 13:04 »
I'd leave the worms to do their job before you start rotovating.

Digger the Dog

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 15:50 »
I'd leave the worms to do their job before you start rotovating.

The problem we've got is that we have just got hold of another Allotment which has loads of fruit bushes on it. We'd like to move the fruit bushes to the old, smaller Allotment as fruit seems to do very well there.

The new Allotment will be better in that if the bushes are moved, we could look at doing straight runs of planting ie 50m at a time: It's all scrub grassland at present so will need constant turning over to expose the roots.

Will it have an adverse effect on the soil if we do rotovate the "poo" into it?

We also have 2 tonnes of Horse poo stored in bags but that won't be ready for spreading
 until 2019

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 17:56 »
never used pig poo but I've been told it has quite a high nitrogen content do you spread it all over the plot or say one half one year and the other half next year

and do you use it on your potato plot I'm interested to hear how pig poo compare's with your horse poo because I use horse poo what they call apples that's straight muck no straw or sawdust I just stack it and use after around twelve months with lime and some NPK and nitrogen fertilizers

I put my poo on in spring if I haven't done it before winter because the ground is far to wet and I found by doing this it helped my ground fro summer capping  8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 18:40 »
Pig manure is a very strong manure, I'd be wary of using it until the rain has washed through it over winter (or it is no longer smelly because it is already well rotted.)

If it's still fresh/smelly I'd try to rake it off the area where you want to rotovate to plant the fruit bushes, you could always use it as a mulch after it has rotted down.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 19:19 »
i was speaking to friend to day who works on a local pig farm he told me they pipe all there pig manure from holding tank and spread it on there fields

he said after spreading there  pig manure on a field then sowing rape the had one of the biggest crops of rape seed ever and the rape plants was twice as high as normal making combining the crop much slower than normal

but as you know rape is from the brassicas family giant cabbages comes to mind  :D :D

xx
"Digging" in green manures

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 21:17
by M0rph3u5
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Beetroot ... which is better "Solist" or "Monika"

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2014, 22:33
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Onion "Radar" and "Electric"

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 16:39
by freefolk

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 45 queries.