magazine subscription

• 8 Replies

greenjay

• Experienced Member
magazine subscription
« on: January 04, 2018, 08:16 »
I have received an offer of 4 copys of a garden magazineat a discounted price if I subscribe by direct debit. after 4 months the price goes up!
does anyone have any experience as to how easy it is to cancel the direct debit before the price goes up?
years ago my mum used to do a gift subscription for me each Christmas. I recently thought I might just buy myself a copy from the newsagent. I could not part with my money. the monthlys one at £4.99 the other £5.99.
thank goodness for this fantastic forum.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: magazine subscription
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:23 »
Can't help you directly because apart from magazines coming from charity organisations I only subscribe to Radio Times, which in recent years has fallen into a familiar pattern - I use a third party online agency to get a very good discount for a year, and when it's time for renewal Radio Times send me an invitation to renew at a much higher price, which I of course decline, so the rather daft process starts again from the beginning for the next year's subscription.  ::)

Your offer doesn't sound very generous if it's only for 4 months. If you actually agree to a contract on their terms you would be in breach of it if you just cancel the direct debit unless the offer specifically gives you the right to do that. Read the small print!

There may well be a better deal available if you do a bit more research...
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 14:20 »
If you are able to cancel your dd after four months at the low price, not actually signing up agreeing to move to the higher price afterwards, then just set it with your bank so that it does actually only run for the four payments. Straightforward.

As JayG says though, do check the small print carefully just in case
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 15:57 »
We did a similar scheme with a motorhome magazine:

As soon as they take that initial Direct Debit from your account, cancel the DD mandate by phone or by online banking so they can't collect another payment.
ManicMum

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 19:48 »
thanks for the replys. time to read small print and t &c.

madcat

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 19:49 »
Can't help you directly because apart from magazines coming from charity organisations I only subscribe to Radio Times, which in recent years has fallen into a familiar pattern - I use a third party online agency to get a very good discount for a year, and when it's time for renewal Radio Times send me an invitation to renew at a much higher price, which I of course decline, so the rather daft process starts again from the beginning for the next year's subscription.  ::)

I hope you dont mind me asking - but how much do you pay for your RT and from whom?  I have a running subscription for my Mum which she really values, but equally I don't want to be ripped off for it.

Apologies for a bit of thread hi-jacking!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 21:27 »
Only just picked this up, but from memory ( :ohmy:) the full price was around £140 but last year I paid around £80 for 12 months. Couple of months to go before I find out what they're all up to this year.  :wacko:

Elaine G

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 22:41 »
if you have a library card you may be able to access some magazines free of charge through the RBdigital app. I picked up a leaflet in my library and read a couple of gardening magazines on there - Gardeners world and Kitchen Garden and another. I guess they vary by library.

Worth investigating as it is free.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

madcat

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 23:21 »
Only just picked this up, but from memory ( :ohmy:) the full price was around £140 but last year I paid around £80 for 12 months. Couple of months to go before I find out what they're all up to this year.  :wacko:

That sounds about like me - £39 for 6 months.  I'm not sure she even knows now who is paying for it.   ;)

if you have a library card you may be able to access some magazines free of charge through the RBdigital app. I picked up a leaflet in my library and read a couple of gardening magazines on there - Gardeners world and Kitchen Garden and another. I guess they vary by library.

Worth investigating as it is free.

Elaine

Oxfordshire uses Zinio for magazines.  Really useful - all sorts of magazines available on download.  And Borrowbox and Overdrive for books and audio downloads.  Well worth investigating your local lending services.   It is amazing what the library services do with so little cash!  And I am very grateful for it. 

xx
Grow your own Magazine

Started by Plot 6B on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post March 19, 2023, 08:15
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 35 queries.