What's in the ground to start the year with

• 13 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
What's in the ground to start the year with
« on: December 31, 2017, 18:43 »
I did venture to the plot the other day just to drop some green waste off.  It was too wet to do anything else, but I did a reccy of what was still in the ground.

My list is just swede, cabbage and perpetual spinach to pick, plus overwintering onions, garlic, shallots, spring cabbage and Wizard beans growing on.  In the greenhouse at home are pots of salad leaves, parsley and chervil.

The plot is as low ebb, but it does make me smile to see some stuff still in the ground  :D

Christine

Re: What's in the ground to start the year with
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 19:26 »
The last few leeks, the last half dozen parsnips, some winter caulis, winter onion sets and garlic. And some very doubtful PSB as that area of the plot has club root and the plants may only come to greens and compost with roots for the rubbish bag.

We're not looking at rhubarb, strawberries and raspberry canes as well are we? Oh and the first signs of daffodils as well as herbs?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 19:32 »
I love that we still have crops growing, both to eat now and for the coming season. Our list is:

in polytunnel: perpetual spinach,Japanese mustard spinach, giant frilled mustard, spring onions, parsley and mizuna

in the ground to eat now/soon: Brussels sprouts, savoy, curly kale, ballhead cabbages, PSB, leeks, lots of herbs, both woody and soft

in the ground growing for later: onions, garlic, elephant garlic, shallots

Life is good  :D :D :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 19:42 »
In the ground, ready to eat, are the usual suspects - cabbage, swede, perennial spinach and leeks.
Planted at home, because of plot swap, are garlic and elephant garlic.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 19:53 »
In the ground are, leeks, parsnips , kale, sprouts, parsley all ready to eat bar the leeks which are still thin. There is also 4 potato plants which are still in the ground that I haven't got to dig up yet , in all probability they may be useless now but I thought I would try it

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 21:28 »
Not a fat lot in the ground at the moment as I focussed on building of some new raised beds and a replacement polytunnel this winter. Just some garlic and broad beans, which have miraculously recovered from being under 10" of snow for a week :D

al78

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 00:29 »
Water, water, water and more water, judging by the amount of rain that is forecast to be dumped over the coming week.

Currently have leeks, chard and a different variety of kale which is not going to be grown again. Just under half the beds have a green manure cover crop which will be dug in (or maybe do the no-dig equivalent) during March.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 14:52 »
very little for me as noramaly have a god few veg's growing but this year just a few leeks, kale and swede.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 17:49 »
Well, there’s carrots & beetroot, timecwill tell if they are any good still, some weedy looking leeks, parsley, we had a bunch on Wednesday or Thursday, sprouts & parsnips,didn’t get to them for Christmas, cavelo Nero & hopefully some purple sprouting broccoli. I think that’s it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 11:37 »
From last season: kale, cabbages, leeks, beetroot, celeriac, celery, chard, carrots, parsnips, root parsley, salsify, swedes, turnips, sprouts, PSB, winter caulies, winter lettuce and mustard greens. In readiness for next season garlic and elephant garlic.

ryetek

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 12:47 »
We currently have swedes, cabbages both autumn and winter varieties, brussels sprouts, beetroot and leeks plus the strawberry plants and all the soft fruit bushes / canes. I'm not sure how the beetroot will have fared however after all the snow and frosts we have had  :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 11:19 »
Swede (yes!)
Carrots
PSB
WSB
Sprouts
Carrots
JK Cabbage
Savoy Cabbage
Garlic
Winter onions
Parsnips
Leeks
The usual fruit bushes
Plenty of Speedwell showing itself already.
No doubt a good handful of volunteer spuds lurking, along with the mare's tail awaiting their opportunity.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 18:50 »
I'm hoping to do better next year, but at the moment I've got leeks, the last 2 parsnips (huge, but should have more smaller ones), Red Russian, Redbore and Dwarf Green Curled Kales, a couple of Kohl Rabis, three types of winter lettuce (if they survive) Mizuna, ball head and spring cabbage, spring cauliflower, sprouts, oriental mustard, spring onions, spinach, sprouts and hopelessly small swedes. Do we count perrenial veg? I've globe artichokes and rhubarb. How about fruit? Black, red and white currant and gooseberries.
Not to mention the other stored and/or frozen veg. oooh - I feel quite virtuous ( although I know I'm asking for fate to give me a clip round the ear 'ole).

madcat

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 11:11 »
In the ground there are parsnips, sprouts, red and dwarf kale. Cabbages and swede are finished.  In store marrows, squash, apples, onions, garlic, potatoes and beetroot.  And the freezers are full to busting.  I think we will survive.  :)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
old ground, new start

Started by reddav72 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 21:09
by Paul Plots
xx
First year planting in ground! Yay!

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 18:24
by Mitsy
xx
Where and when to start this year...

Started by Tinkerbell264 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 13:33
by BicesterKev
xx
What to start this time of year!!

Started by WeedDetester on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 01, 2007, 22:05
by WeedDetester

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 37 queries.