whats the best seed supplier?

• 26 Replies

ryetek

Re: whats the best seed supplier?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 13:14 »
I mainly use D. T. Brown and Kings and find them both to be really good. For this upcoming season I got 95% of my seed in the D. T. Brown "Brown Friday" sale in November where most of the seed varieties I wanted were £1 per packet (with just a few exceptions). This means that Kings have, unfortunately, lost out for this season.

I have tried seeds from said eBay seller in the past but no longer use them due to several packets of seeds not turning out to be the correct variety as ordered. For example I purchased some Gartenperle cherry tomato seeds in 2016 and the packet receieved was marked as such. These tomatoes are a relatively compact bush variety that I grow in flower buckets placed on top of our patio wall. They tend to do really well most seasons. Anyhow they actually turned out to be some huge beef stake variety of tomato of the indeterminate type. Furthermore because I'd put them outside they didn't do too well in the end  :mad:

rowlandwells

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 18:21 »
well you live and learn never heard of that seed company before till you mentioned it Spadework so I'm going to have a look at there site  :D

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 00:56 »
I noticed growlikegrandad has done a price per seed comparison today, interesting reading I thought, although as he says price is not the only important factor when it comes to seed suppliers:

Edit to remove link
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:52 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 09:19 »
Cheap seeds are OK sometimes.  If it is fillers like salad mixes and the like, or seeds which are long lasting and tolerant of iffy storage conditions, it is fine.  If they are crops you really wanted to get started at a certain time, it can be very frustrating when they just fail. 

A lot of shops and garden centres don't have great conditions for keeping seeds in.  There is one locally to me that is really just glorified polytunnels stuck together.  It is freezing when it is cold out and boiling when the sun hits it.  I often wonder what condition the seeds are in when I see people browsing the racks  :unsure:   

Mine are almost all mail order.  I have some DT Brown, some Suttons, some Real Seed.  I have used all of them before and they supply good quality products.  It is also good if you know they will replace any stuff that does fail without quibbling    :)

sandymac

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 10:29 »
another vote for plants/seeds of distinction

sandy

Mr Dog

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 14:54 »
I've used many seed suppliers over the years and whilst much more often than not there are no issues, occasionally there is a mislabelling or a germination problem. Virtually always the seeds are replaced with no quibbles. The only supplier I've found not to have done is a well known ebay based one.... I no longer use them

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 18:36 »
Did a comparison this year between Dobies, DT Brown, Simply Seeds, Real Seeds and More Veg. Bought different things from each of them , but the majority were from Simply Seeds. More Veg were very cheap for small amounts of seed i.e. 20 Black Beauty Aubergines for 50P, 20 Spring Hero cabbage for 50p. DT Brown offer 75 Spring Hero for £2.59, but who can eat 75 spring cabbages?
I like to buy from Real Seeds because I admire their ethos of encouraging seed saving, and their enthusiasm for their products - you feel you're dealing with other Gardners (not like the big seed companies).
Not tried some of the other companies mentioned in other posts, but will certainly have a look next year.

Elaine G

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 00:11 »
Agree with the posts above but just to throw in an extra comment.
I was visiting a garden one day and saw some Country Value seeds. I needed some marigolds so thought at 99p it was worth a shot. Germination was good.
Last year I forgot to buy sweetcorn seeds! I spotted the Country Value seeds in Bunnings (ex Homebase). Variety Incredible.
Germination was 100%, which I thought was impressive. Worth a try if you see them, I think.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 01:07 »
@Elaine G: In a pinch I picked up some Country Value Scarlet Globe Radishes last year from Homebase and they too germinated very well.

3759allen

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 19:12 »
I would also recommend Wallis Seeds for value, service, and germination. They are for my main seed order.

http://www.wallis-seeds.co.uk/

I have also ordered from Real Seeds, DT Brown and Premier Seeds (ebay) this year. :)

has anyone tried to communicate with this company? i've sent two e mails asking advice about parsnip seed varieties and no reply. i think if they don't reply to make a sale they won't reply if there's a problem.

their price and selection seem good, and i suppose if their seeds are good quality i shouldn't need to contact them.

3759allen

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 19:08 »
I would also recommend Wallis Seeds for value, service, and germination. They are for my main seed order.

http://www.wallis-seeds.co.uk/

I have also ordered from Real Seeds, DT Brown and Premier Seeds (ebay) this year. :)

has anyone tried to communicate with this company? i've sent two e mails asking advice about parsnip seed varieties and no reply. i think if they don't reply to make a sale they won't reply if there's a problem.

their price and selection seem good, and i suppose if their seeds are good quality i shouldn't need to contact them.

i take this last comment back. got a reply with an answer to my query. i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume some how the first e mail got lost.

rowlandwells

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 19:19 »
as I understand veg seed is VAT free on non pictorial packets don't know about the pictorial seed packets because the price on the packet is the price you pay ?

but there is VAT on flower seed perhaps that's what makes flower seed more expensive  :unsure:

xx
seed supplier

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 11:15
by DD.
xx
Best value seed supplier?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 13:16
by lacaya
xx
Best Value Seed Supplier?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 16:24
by whitehill1
xx
What seed supplier?????

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 21:59
by Cheshire Phill

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 48 queries.