Oh heck, another half-plot to start in the New Year...

• 9 Replies

Growster...

Oh heck, another half-plot to start in the New Year...
« on: December 29, 2017, 17:52 »
We're lucky in that there is no waiting list here, and a newly-vacant half-plot has some apple trees on it, just waiting for some TLC, the best blackberry hedge in the county and even more rasps...

I've already started the discussions with the Parish, and so - sigh - we'll be certs for the New Wilderness with two Golden Delicious, (M27 and MM106), a Christmas Pearmain (M27), and - my favourite, an Egremont Russett (M9)...

And the biggest crop of couch grass we've ever seen too - even more than the original Small Patch...

Sigh...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Oh heck, another half-plot to start in the New Year...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 18:11 »
Didn't you just give up a part plot, or am I confused again?  :wacko:

Were you just tempted by the extra fruit? that's what tempted me to take over a bigger plot from March  :lol:
A bit more work but think of all the jam and fresh fruit on your cereal  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 20:04 »
The fruit sounds very tempting, so I follow your logic, Growster... remember to use some for lovely liqueur-like beverages too  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:07 »
Didn't you just give up a part plot, or am I confused again?  :wacko:

Were you just tempted by the extra fruit? that's what tempted me to take over a bigger plot from March  :lol:
A bit more work but think of all the jam and fresh fruit on your cereal  :D

Bit of a saga really Mum, and you're right, we gave up the half-plot next to the new one a couple or so years ago, but it was mainly because the beds were just too many to cope with, and not producing the right stuff, so we downsized...

The 'New Wilderness' is actually the other half of the original plot (are you still with me...), and we wanted it years ago, before the apples were planted, but the original tenants mucked around so we abandoned the idea.

As you probably know, Kent CC, and all the various boroughs we pay for, are desperate to cover the whole county with concrete roads and houses, and as I'm a cynic where property issues are concerned, our plots could still get sold off one day, and I want to try for complete tenancies on all the allotments to maintain the status quo. For an extra tenner, it's well worth it...

And also, the extra apples are for the grandchildren, and as I now have a great strimmer, a super mower, and an electric bike to get down there regularly, it seems a shame not to take up the challenge of more exercise!

I hope it all works out...

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 05:10 »
The fruit sounds very tempting, so I follow your logic, Growster... remember to use some for lovely liqueur-like beverages too  ;)

You're right of course, Sunny!

Would you believe it, but there's a child's swing there as well, and at about 12:30 a this morning, I realised it would make the perfect frame for some more Cherokee T of Ts..;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 13:18 »
Actually, we've sort of done the same thing. An unused area behind my greenhouse has now been designated to be an orchard and yup! Couch grass a-plenty, remnants of past bonfires including bits of plastic, gets very waterlogged so will need mole-draining but once we've got rid of those problems we hope to enjoy nature taking it over with some help from snowdrops, crocuses, wild flowers and anything else that arrives.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 17:27 »
That sounds lovely, GG.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 08:16 »
Growster backs down...

Sorry to say, that after a lot of thought and discussion, Mrs Growster and I decided that there was just too much to do here for not a lot of return.

It's a shame really, but the work was beginning to worry me, after an initial foray with a strimmer. The ground is just awful, and while a few years ago, I'd have taken it on with a long view, this one will take about seventy hours of hard labour, which, for just four small apple trees and a lot of blackberries, is not a great return.

Hmmm. Probably for the best, but there you go, some you win, some you nearly win...

(Sorry, but there are two pics of the same view, so you'll need to see them with 3D glasses, rather like I did when I first wanted the plot...)
DSCN8440.JPG
DSCN8440.JPG
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:18 by Growster... »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 10:14 »
At least you reached a decision before you started. It would have been awfully depressing to realise you'd taken on too much halfway through the work.

I had began to have second thoughts about working the new bigger plot, from March, but after chatting to another plot-holder, she said she would like to take on a little more space if it really does get too much for me. No worries now :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 13:23 »
I'm glad you made that decision Growster. It's ok when you are a stripling, but later on you have to balance your desires against the realities of life and what you could actually achieve if you'd taken over the plot. I know you are a hard worker but looking at your pics methinks that's a bridge too far. The lure of the fruit tree leaves are like fluttering eyelashes drawing you in but thankfully Mrs G knew better! 

xx
New year new start

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

24 Replies
Last post January 03, 2021, 18:41
by basketcase
xx
Half a Pizza !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

28 Replies
Last post January 18, 2020, 17:19
by Growster...
xx
Cold start surprise

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2019, 21:03
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Best and easiest free way to start a simple blog.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 18, 2017, 21:07
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 36 queries.