Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

• 5 Replies

Clarky86

Greenhouse or Polytunnel?
« on: August 30, 2017, 21:48 »
Hi everybody

I'm trying to plan ahead and get something in place ready for next year. I have acquired a small 6x6 old greenhouse which is attached to a garden shed from the old occupants of my new house.
I've had a few tomatoes and cukes in there this year but it's far too small for my liking. 

I'm looking to replace with either a bigger ( 10 x 6 or 10 x 8 ) greenhouse or a polytunnel.

Which do you recommend as being the most useful? I think I know the answer is a polytunnel however the cost of them ( even second hand ) make them a massively expensive way of growing veg?

I had a quote of £600 for a 3x6m ( installed ) and that means I'd have to grow one hell of a lot of veg to out way the cost of it.

I don't like the look of the ones with woven green sheeting, just don't look very appealing and ones I've seen seem very flimsy.
Has anybody built their own using water pipes? Has it lasted the test of time?

I know that greenhouses are going on eBay for very little money and in a cost sense is a far better option but I think I'll be limited on what I can grow in one.

Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

LILLILEAF

Re: Greenhouse or Polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:45 »
greenhouse or polytunnel,i think it depends where you live and weather conditions in the winter,as we live in windy wales,we had no option but a greenhouse we bought one that was both very strong and heavy, at 400kg and 4mm toughened glass when built,it was the only structure on our place that remained with no damage after 94 mile winds.
 We put it together ourselves as the company wanted £350 to put it up for us,the money we saved on that paid for the base.the size we bought was a 10 x 12,very pleased with the results for my first summer :).
A polytunnel is very good it would have been our first choice if we did not live near the coast.Lillileaf.

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:23 »
I have a glasshouse at home in the garden and a polytunnel on the allotment.

The glasshouse is great for starting seeds etc off in but in terms of productivity that is a bit limited because of the staging for the seedlings.  I usually get about 6 tomatoes plants and some peppers in pots in there, it also looks a lot nicer than a polytunnel. 

The polytunnel on the other hand is very productive and I have stuff on the go in there all year round.  I know the initial outlay is high for the polytunnel but mine is now in full production for its fifth year so it has well paid for itself.  We installed our PT ourselves to cut back on the costs.  I would also agree with you on the green mesh, I went for the polythene and I get much better results than the lads on the plot with the green mesh. 

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:44 »
I lost 2 greenhouses in the storms of 2014, despite being anchored down. One was 8ftx8ft and the other 10ftx8ft. I replaced them with a 10ftx20ft polytunnel and have never regeretted it. The cost of the polytunnel was less than  half of what it would have cost to replace the greenhouses, and we put it up ourselves over several weekends. Most of the delay was waiting for a calm day to put on the ploythene.

From personal experience the ploytunnel has been far more productive than the greenhouses ever were and I'm growing throughout the winter which was something I never manged in the greenhouses.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 14:00 »
I have three greenhouses on the plot, we have infamous winds here on the Fylde coast and all three have stayed in place, however that is because I built an internal frame with 3x2 which the greenhouse frame bolts onto for the extra security.
Our site is slowly being taken over by polytunnels, I will agree Nikkithefoot, from what I have seen with the other plot holders the polytunnels do seem more productive.
One thing to bear in mind in that they need to be recovered every so often I believe which of course will cost.
6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

grinling

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 21:13 »
I have a polytunnel which came with the house, It has suffered some damage which duct tape has helped.
Alan has a 6x 6 greenhouse. We both have done tomatoes and cucs.
He grows within buckets with holes for drainage. So does 1 neighbour.
What helps is automatic vent in a greenhouse. What could be more economical for you is another 6x 6 greenhouse and bolt together possibly with the door on the opposite side. You have glass if not all available. Check ebay, freegle, preloved and gumtree.
One side whitewashed (one with vent), other side used newspaper on sticks (offered hessian to her).

xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband
xx
Re: in the Polytunnel and Greenhouse

Started by Whatalottie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 12:01
by Green man
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.