Killing brambles

• 15 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Killing brambles
« on: June 10, 2017, 16:08 »
These are very deep-rooted and for various reasons, digging them out isn't an option. Would Gallup glyphosate concentrate diluted maybe 1 to 10 in paraffin and then sprayed or painted onto the leaves do the trick?

Would the same concoction work on common ivy?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Killing brambles
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 16:38 »
I've tried using a glyphosate-based weedkiller designed for tougher plants such as brambles (can't remember the name right now) and it didn't have much effect on them to be honest.

I don't think glyphosate has much effect on ivy.

Why on earth would you want to use paraffin?  Aside from the fact that it's not licensed for this use, I'd have thought there was a risk of contamination of surrounding land - of particular importance if this is on an allotment plot rather than garden (I didn't want to assume whereabouts these plants were).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 16:44 »
I have used SBK with some success, works well on most things, nettles etc, brambles are a bit tougher but a second treatment has weakened them, hopefully it will work in the end.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 16:50 »
Don't worry, it's my own land.
Why paraffin? Well, there is a proprietary bramble killer, can't remember its name but something like SKB that recommends  mixing with light oil, presumably to avoid its rapid evaporation and keep it in contact with the leaves for as long as possible

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 17:34 »
If the stems are of a good thickness drilling and injecting neat glyphosate might be worth a try.
Plug the holes afterwards.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 18:16 »
I have used spray that will specifically kill brambles as well as nettles. mix in water and spray on. I think it is recommended to wait 3 weeks after spraying to make sure die back is complete then you can cut back.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 18:35 »
I used glyphosate on brambles in my garden. The tops died off and I cut them back (I can't dig all the roots out as they go under the fence onto the railway line, but I did my best)
They have all grown back this year - so I don't think ordinary Glyphosate is strong enough :(

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 18:46 »
Just found it in the shed. It's called SBK. You mix it with light oil to apply to ivy, otherwise mix it with water
Sorry, I just noticed that Johnjsdb recommended this too
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 18:50 by AlaninCarlisle »

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 19:36 »
I've used a strong glyphosate mix ( can't remember the name)successfully on brambles on my daughters 180 ft x20ft garden that was 10ft high in brambles. We strimmed it to the ground & allowed a good amount of new growth before spraying as directed. When they'd died back we either dug them out where possible or cut the tops off. Some needed to be resprayed again waiting for regrowth before applying solution as per directions on the bottle
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 20:21 »
I'm seriously thinking of killing off some tiresome brambles by soaking a rag with glypho, and tying it around the stem - into a scored cut on the stem - for a week or so. That way, I can soak the rag whenever, and the plant never gets a chance to recover, and should eventually give up.

I fully understand that digging out is not always an option, and this is the case with us on 'The Patch', where we have some nasties like that which keep appearing every year!

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 21:31 »
Grazon is pretty effective against nettles, but I think that you can't buy it in less than 1l bottles which would make it expensive for a few nettles, and you might need to find someone with a licence to apply it

bendipa

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 21:40 »
Glyphosate does work on brambles, but you need to apply it in more concentrated form than you would on non-woody perennials. The best times for spraying the leaves on the long stems, are May to early July. You may need 2 -3 applications, and the plant slowly dies back with the leaves browning from the edges over the weeks, but it does work.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 21:43 by bendipa »

LILLILEAF

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 05:52 »
When we moved to where we are now,the patch we wanted to turn into the veg patch was completely covered in all the nasties of weeds 15yrs not touched,so this calls for tough action.
My weed killer and bramble distroyer of choice Rosate 36  5 litres,cost £28 inc p+p, i used it on every thing 1 application bingo got the lot,at 200ml per 10 litre ,there was the odd stubbon weed so they got sprayed the following spring as soon as they showed any sign of growth.Lillileaf

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 20:29 »
Just need to point out that Rosate 36 is a product that is only lawful for a professional, licensed person to use - so we can't be seen to endorse its use.

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 21:29 »
Just need to point out that Rosate 36 is a product that is only lawful for a professional, licensed person to use - so we can't be seen to endorse its use.

I'm guessing that you would need to ask permission (in writing) to use it on a plot, even when using a professional gardener with all the necessary licenses?

Just thought I'd ask as I'm guessing some people know professionals who can do this (for clarification, I've no intention of using anything like this as I like my brambles.. they keep people out  ::) :lol: )

Funnily enough, my business partner said he watched a programme on tv where they injected brambles (or some really prevalent nasty plant) straight into the stem, and it killed them off with no sign of them the following year.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 21:32 by Rhys »
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

question
Brambles.

Started by SunnyDays@7 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2018, 18:46
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Getting rid of brambles

Started by BarnBrian on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 11:30
by Johndeb
xx
BRAMBLES AAARGH

Started by mushroom on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post November 29, 2007, 14:38
by muntjac
xx
Dealing with brambles

Started by Tom Parrot on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post February 05, 2019, 13:42
by Tom Parrot

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 37 queries.