poultry fence querie

• 3 Replies

dye29

poultry fence querie
« on: April 22, 2017, 21:40 »
hi all ive built my massive chicken run but just been looking at these electric fences for poultry they sound good but surely they will hop over them what does you guys think

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: poultry fence querie
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:52 »
You will need a pretty high fence to stop the birds getting out.  Perhaps more importantly, it has to be high to keep foxes from getting in. 

With the recent avian flu outbreak, it is also worth making a run with a roof you can cover if you need to.  My big run is made out of a large pergola that was already in situ.  It has a permanent roof and fully secure sides, but I don't use an electric fence.

Mr R Design

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:27 »
What is it you are trying to achieve?

I have a 3 and a 1/2 foot fence on one side of my garden, keep 3 chickens and in the last 2 years none of them have bothered to jump over it or even stand on it (and I don't clip their wings)

I collected a 1+ year old warren cross yesterday to replace a barnevelder that had recently passed away from someone that uses the plastic orange coloured mesh that motorway/road workers use which is about 4 foot high.

They keep about 20 unclipped chickens and in the last 3 years only 1 has been found loitering on the wrong side.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19 »
Some breeds fly more readily and if you have an escaper or two it tends to be the same ones. Then you may need to clip wings. Re electric fencing - it is mainly about keeping foxes out rather than chooks in as this is easier.  If you feel you have built a secure fence for your chooks and the fox you may not need anything else, time will tell if you are unlucky. Some folk prefer a couple of strands of electric fencing on the perimeter of their housing which they bait with a sausage, for example, so that the fox knows about it and that acts as a good deterrent.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Electric fence vs fixed fence...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 08:05
by nerdle
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
can i get away with 8 ft fence

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 19:50
by karlooben
xx
Which electric fence...?

Started by Farmer Woosnip on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 23:35
by Junie

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.