Why haven't I seen these before ?
« on: December 12, 2016, 15:14 »
http://www.salterhousewares.co.uk/salter-deep-fill-2-pie-maker.html

Im busy trying to justify buying one.  :closedeyes:   :blush:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Why haven't I seen these before ?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 17:10 »
Well I'm not going to talk you out of it.  I just looked at the Amazon reviews (the vast majority all glowing) and am wondering why I haven't seen them before either  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:23 »
Would it be cheaper to run than putting the oven on? (taking into account the cost of the appliance as well).

Looks good but we are not having one.... (final last words) as the kitchen is full to bursting with all of my daughter's cooking bits as well as ours.

Willing to let you know if you want me to compare your pies cooked a) in the conventional oven b) pie maker.

I can let you have my home address via a personal message... and will supply reusable containers  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:39 »
Would it be cheaper to run than putting the oven on? (taking into account the cost of the appliance as well).

You're probably looking at an hour at least to heat it up and then cook - I expect they'll be around the same. I've ordered it, a lot of my CBA at dinner times stems from not wanting to put the oven on or wait an hour.

I can let you have my home address via a personal message... and will supply reusable containers  :lol:

I'm sure there's an EEC directive to prevent the transportation of pies ... they're a health hazard you see.  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 10:42 »
Yes nice try Paul, but I think you'll get little joy here as well.  I mentioned buying one to OH and his face lit up.

I wouldn't want to get between him and a fresh cooked pie when he gets home from work starving hungry and knackered  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:05 »
It's a shame they won't make the pastry as well - wishful thinking ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 01:04 »
Foiled again (not tin-foiled though I guess)...

1) No stopping the go-ahead and purchase of more marvellous kitchen paraphernalia gadgets

2) Despite my best offers to help.... no pies for the tasting winging their way through the mail

Can understand the reasoning behind the pie producer though. Good luck with it.

This evening (Mrs Plots away) so I "did" two big baked potatoes in the oven for my daughter and me..... Boy they took ages!! It seems "we" prefer (so I'm told) oven baked jacket potatoes.

I did stick a flan in the oven too but... no more oven baked jacket potatoes. (The electricity bill!!!)

And "No" we do not need a microwave because "we" do not like jacket potatoes that have soft skins and we can't be doing with putting them in a microwave and then the oven....so I am told.  ::)

Personally I like mash.....so I'll have to put my foot-down with a firm peeler..  :wacko: when Mrs Plots gets back. (She does not like mash and I've almost forgotten what it's like  :(

Enjoy those pies....  ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:06 by Paul Plots »

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 17:04 »
I have to admit I was sceptical... after unboxing and priming the none stick I thought that'll never work.

There's a cutter with the machine it makes the exact sizes for both the top and bottom. The bottom one creating nicks in the pastry to make it easier to put the pastry in the machine.  It heats up quickly ... very quickly perhaps 3-4 minutes.

For the test, shortcrust pastry (50/50 butter/lard) I had in the fridge with some mince , a few spuds and some mushys, everything was already cooked apart from the mushys.

Getting the pastry in isn't the easiest thing in the world although it may get better with practise. There didn't appear to be a lot of space for my filling - I jam as much in a think is safe without overfill the pastry bit it could have taken more.  Lids on - no milk or egg wash and start the timer. There was a bit of an uneven cook, the right side lid was hanging about but overall around 15 mins from cold to steaming hot pie.

I turned the machine off and upside down with a bit of a shake to unstick things and then lifted the pies out.

They lack the beauty of a thumb mushed hand crimped edge but they're very passable pies.

Pie B I've left at full res so you can get a clear look at how the pastry has cooked (no soggy bottoms here). That and to make people hungry.  :D

pie_a.jpg
pie_b.jpg

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 20:55 »
I can smell it from here and it looks blinking good too.

And there was me contenting myself with cold pork pie for my evening meal.  :(

Here's wishing you many happy pie making days....... delighted to hear they are free of soggy bottoms  ;)

Boxing Day - Turkey Pie Day?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 09:40 »
Pie B I've left at full res so you can get a clear look at how the pastry has cooked (no soggy bottoms here). That and to make people hungry.  :D

Its a bit early for pie, but they do look more than passable  :lol:  I'll let the Christmas rush go by and I think I might be investing  ;)

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 11:09 »
Boxing Day - Turkey Pie Day?

Why wait ?  :tongue2:

I've seen some tv adverts for pre-cooked jacket spuds that you just nuke, they're currently in the "Im not paying that" category but for a treat it's always an option. Mash is always a bonus done nicely (butter and milk), the older I get the more I appreciate it.

I must remember to get a packet of frozen berries to do a few apple & berry pies.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 01:30 »
Fruit pies? Wow

Custard or ice-cream with them = heaven!!

Great for an extra pudding over Christmas / New Year if someone drops in for tea unexpectedly.

(Foiled again.... I can't get there - no buses running over the holiday period ;) )
 :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 10:03 »
They do look excellent, Lardman, and now I am hovering.. birthday coming up in Feb... could I justify the kitchen storage space, how often would we eat a pie? I think maybe far too often if we had one of these!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 10:45 »
how often would we eat a pie? I think maybe far too often if we had one of these!!

I think that may be the case here as well, but I'm still planning on buying one  :lol:  It was the apple and custard pies that tipped it for me.

My reasoning (and this is New shoot logic, so bear with me here) is that if you only make 2 small pies and eat them up between the 2 of you, there is no leftover pie in the fridge tempting you back to eat more. 

If I make a plate pie, it worries OH until he has scoffed the lot, so this will be a quick, easy fix for pie cravings and less calories overall  :unsure:   I just need to hide the machine inbetween times  :lol:

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.