Why haven't I seen these before ?

• 44 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Why haven't I seen these before ?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 21:35 »
New shoot - I think you've cracked it!

Sounds very sensible and sound reasoning to me.

(Pleased you liked the apple pie & custard idea........my favourite. Almost anything with custard sounds a good idea.)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 13:51 »
My reasoning (and this is New shoot logic, so bear with me here) is that if you only make 2 small pies and eat them up between the 2 of you, there is no leftover pie in the fridge tempting you back to eat more.

Perfectly reasonable - along with the "there's no point saving that little slice" argument  :closedeyes:  I also reasoned that the pastry to filling ratio would be higher so I wouldn't need to waste so much of the expensive part of a pie.  So not only was it less fattening it was cheaper.  :D  (If you think that's tenuous, you should see how I justified buying 32 apple trees  :lol: )

I've just finished 2 Christmas dinner pies ( Turkey, stuffing, sprouts, carrots, cranberry sauce and gravy) and Im waiting for the next batch of pastry to relax so I can do a couple of apple and custard (custard goes inside the pie :tongue2: ). Not sure if I should add a little mince meat to make them seasonal ?

wighty

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2016, 18:10 »
oh go on, why not, be a devil and through caution to the wind, it's Christmas after all.  :D

wighty

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 18:11 »
That should  have been throw not through!  (*, can't blame the fizzy stuff tonight!)

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 18:24 »
And I got it wrong. Probably didn't read carefully enough:

Lardman said: "...the custard goes in the pie" not as I had thought with the pie.

Sounds lovelier still.... but Mrs Plots would not be doing with any more gadgets or equipment in our kitchen she tells me.

Our daughter, who lives with us at present, is a confectioner and baker for a big food-store. She is also on a uni course so our place kitchen has lots of "essential" (?) equipment and herbs and extras as well as my bread-making corner.

I wonder what the "essential" kitchen equipment really is? Different things for different people I suspect.
A new thread needed? Maybe not. 

jezza

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2016, 20:18 »
hi I remember some thing like that at school many years ago we used it for sterilizing small batches of top soil we damped the soil then put it in for 10 minutes it stunk but made good topsoil  jezza

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 00:20 »
hi I remember some thing like that at school many years ago we used it for sterilizing small batches of top soil we damped the soil then put it in for 10 minutes it stunk but made good topsoil  jezza

Mud pies?  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 09:44 »

Our daughter, who lives with us at present, is a confectioner and baker for a big food-store. She is also on a uni course so our place kitchen has lots of "essential" (?) equipment and herbs and extras as well as my bread-making corner.

I wonder what the "essential" kitchen equipment really is? Different things for different people I suspect.
A new thread needed? Maybe not.

This thread is unkind.... got to investigate pie makers now. :ohmy:

And essential kitchen gadgets would be a good fan assisted oven, hob with knobs, ice cream machine with build in freezer, bread maker, to knead dough and save hand joints, , kitchen aid, hand held mixer, food processor, and a good set of knives and pans.

Muitters to self do not look at pie makers......you know you batch bake to utilise the oven heat, and freeze pies,

Do not look at pie makers,  just off to google pie makers just to be sure I really don't need one. :ohmy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 00:40 »
Mrs Bee - your essential list looks a bit like ours...

So, have you added Pie Maker or managed to resist?  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 14:14 »
I have managed to resist. Some of the reviews said that you have to heat the pie maker before using and I could see problems with that.

I think I will keep the traditional method and batch bake.

Besides the snowdrops catalogues are dropping through the door and I think I will be spending on them instead. :D

jaydig

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 17:42 »
I tend to make pastry in large batches, wrap portions ready for use and then put them into the freezer, duly labelled either 'sweet' or 'savoury'.  It wouldn't take any effort to produce a couple of pies using the pie
maker, as long as a bit of forward planning was done, and said pastry removed from the freezer in time to defrost.
Now, can someone tell me how to sneak one in without hubby seeing it.  Once smuggled into the house I could always lose it amongst the slow cooker, pressure cooker, food processor, sausage machine, yogurt maker, bread maker...............oh dear, I hadn't realised how many gadgets I already have, but I do use them all on a regular basis. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 21:20 »
Mine is ordered and I have a plan. 

If I am working that night, the box will be spirited out of sight, if not ..... I will have pastry on standby and a filling, so when OH walks through the door that night, there will be pie cooking for tea.  He'll be so in awe of the general domestic goddessness of it all, I expect no questions at all about where said machine appeared from  :lol:

Can't fail  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 23:47 »
Sounds like a plan - good luck!

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 04:16 »
With the gradual spread of pie making machines and steadily increasing ownership I am beginning to think of a competition title:

"Best pie filling competition - Sweet and Savoury Classes"

Hands up for judging / tasting!!!   :)

Can it be done by post?  :unsure:

Lardman

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 13:07 »
Some of the reviews said that you have to heat the pie maker before using and I could see problems with that.

My fingers aren't made from asbestos so I don't do that. When I've been making a wet pie I've turned it on after putting the base in though to sort of blind bake it a bit.

Besides the snowdrops catalogues are dropping through the door and I think I will be spending on them instead. :D

Why ? You can't eat those.... Wouldn't you like a nice fruit tree or two instead.  :D

Filling suggestions welcome  :tongue2: as at the moment I'm using mine essential to wrap leftovers in pastry.   If the chickens were still laying I'd be leaving the tops off and trying a quiche and I bought some gelatine to try a doing some watercrust pastry pork pies.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.