that time of the year cake

• 12 Replies

chrissie B

that time of the year cake
« on: November 10, 2016, 07:32 »
Just done my cake and used the recipe from the sainsburys own mag which i now buy instead of the good food mag it being £4.25  and sainsburys mag ranges from £ 1 to 3 mainly 2 though
its a tropical fruit cake and i will be doing a minimal decoration , althouh i love royal icing and marzapan every one else leaves it on the side of the plate .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

snowdrops

Re: that time of the year cake
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:47 »
I made mine a week ago & swapped to. Mary Berry recipe where you soaked the fruit in brandy for 3 days. I had some fruit that was rather dried so rather than waste it I thought this was a good recipe to plump it up. I made a square cake so I can cut it into quarters & maybe more to give as individual cakes for gifts as there is only me that likes it. I might fondant ice a couple as gifts but mine will have fruit & nuts on as I don't like icing.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 09:07 »
I've been looking at recipes for a "you know when" pudding.  Anybody got any favourites?

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 09:38 »
Made mine last Saturday with two visiting grandsons who did all the weighing and mixing.......fingers crossed then. I used a recipe from tinterweb this year. I think it was Granny's C........ cake. I have made Mrs Beetons cake for more than 40 years but I disposed of the recipe book in favour of what I can find on the web.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 13:32 »
Mine was soaked over nit in rum but last year it was done over a week kept in the fridg and mixed every day it was lovley  , this one said bake in a deep 18 cm tin i only had a 20 and was glad as there was a huge ammount of mixture and it rose up as well , i will be giving it a nip of rum later on the dark stuff of course  what are you all putting on yours .
chrissie b

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 14:01 »
I don't feed mine any alcohol as I don't like it!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 14:20 »
I don't feed mine any alcohol!

Me neither, this year apart from a trad cake for my SIL,  the cakes are going to be sponge or light fruit cakes. It seems the heavy fruit cakes are not as popular as they once were.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 14:20 by mumofstig »

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 14:37 »
I won't be feeding mine either.

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 18:47 »
I know what you mean anout popularity but in my home there will be fruit cake even if i have to eat the whole thing my self , my mother made one each year and as she died when i was 10 i didnt get much of the knowledge your mum gives you ,i get a bit down when people say oh my mum tought me so i vowed to make a cake every year and feed it till it till it carnt stand its the one thing we did together i remember the wrinkled fingers from taking the skins off the almonds and the smell of the washed fruit on the harth stufflike that so i make cake every year and easter too , i have a daughter who has no interest in cooking any thing unless it comes out aa packet.
Chrissie b

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 22:08 »
I made mine a week ago & swapped to. Mary Berry recipe where you soaked the fruit in brandy for 3 days. I had some fruit that was rather dried so rather than waste it I thought this was a good recipe to plump it up. I made a square cake so I can cut it into quarters & maybe more to give as individual cakes for gifts as there is only me that likes it. I might fondant ice a couple as gifts but mine will have fruit & nuts on as I don't like icing.

I also make a square one now Snowy, one quarter is iced for me to give to Nici when I go down to Kent in December, one quarter is for our old friends in the village as they don't like icing and marzipan, the other 2 quarters are for us, one for Christmas and one for New Year!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 12:04 »
We have never eaten the cake in our house but I made a pudding as an experiment about 10 years ago and it has been insisted I ever since! I have to make a few - for the Christmas day visitors and for the Boxing Day visitors. It doesn't have any nuts and is slightly lighter than some which is why it is so popular with my family I think.

I have am tempted to make Yule log or a gingerbread house this year but there is just so much sweet stuff around at that time of year....

wighty

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 15:34 »
The last time I made a Christmas cake nobody ate it so we scrapped off the icing and re-iced it and used it as my youngest daughter's Christening cake.  As she is  now 30 years old you can see how long ago it was! :D

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 13:08 »
Slightly off topic but made some of delias llast minute mini pudding she makes 4 but  my pots were smaller and got 7 made a week ago and frozen we split one between un and although they were not as dark as a matured one they were lovley ba ked in the oven 45 mins in a bain marie i just microwaved  the one i got out .
chrissie b

xx
Passata time of year again!

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2011, 15:58
by Swing Swang
xx
tea cake

Started by Piccolo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 19:45
by Piccolo
xx
HELP! Cake decorating

Started by totalnovice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 08:59
by Ice
xx
Chocolate cake in a mug

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 11:59
by Oscar Too

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 36 queries.