mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Canning/Jarring season again!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 10:18 »
Yes, even in boxes under the bed  :D

Beekissed

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 13:04 »
All this canning, where do you folks keep all this stuff, must be jam jars everywhere,?

We have a sort of all purpose room...guess you could call it a pantry.  It has three shelving units in it...one for canned goods, one for miscellaneous household items such as blenders, canners, soap making supplies, crockpots, stored water,etc., and one for bins that hold tools, tapes, paints, cleaners, etc.   Once I get all this canned stuff organized and on the shelves where it will be for the winter, I'll get a pic to show the size of these shelves...they are 2 ft. x 6.5 ft. and are of heavy duty resin construction. 

And, yes...I even have some jars under my bed.   :lol:  Nice, dark and cool under there.   ;)

Beekissed

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 00:29 »
I'll be adding around 40-50 jars to this before the season is over, but this is the space I have currently for canned goods and it's very nearly filled, but I can shuffle a few containers and storage things off there and add the additional canned goods 

This unit has a very top shelf that I couldn't get into the pic properly and it also has a bottom shelf that is just holding empty jars right now. 

Each shelf is 2 ft. wide and 3 ft. long...

Beekissed

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 09:48 »
Butchering and canning up chicken this week.  The stock smells heavenly and I can't wait to have all this meat in the jar and ready for winter eating.  Butchered 6 old hens of my sister's today and added 4 more from the freezer that was processed earlier in the year...deboned the meat this year for more compact canning and better use of jar space, as well as concentrating the stock more for the same reason. 

These old hens had plenty of golden, rich fat on them so I'll have some schmaltz for freezing and that's a blessing. 

I'll be doing a dozen or more birds in addition to these and am hoping to get those done before it turns too cold...right now we are having unseasonably warm temps, so we are working hard while the sun shines.  Been splitting wood this week too and have a huge pile of oak and cherry yet to split and haul.  We are pretty late getting in our wood this year...latest I can remember, so I'm feeling pretty blessed to have the good weather holding on for us. 

Thanking the Lord for the blessing of meat and wood He has provided for us this year.  Nothing like wood heat and rich, flavorful home grown chicken for the winter.  I feel rich! 

Beekissed

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 18:49 »
Another 5 birds processed this morning, all 6 mo. old cockerels.  Beautiful birds every one, easier to do than tough old hens and nearly had as much fat stored, which is pretty unusual for roosters.  Not much feed has went into these birds, just really good forage, especially this past few months...fall forage is just designed to lay fat on a bird for the winter. 

Hope to get them in the jar today and continue culling the flock tomorrow with a few older hens, a few of this year's pullets, along with another cockerel.  Hope to cull another 4-6 birds tomorrow. 

All of that will add amazingly flavorful and healthy meat to the shelf and cut way down on the feed bill just when it's needed the most, when the best of the foraging is nigh done, it's turning cold, and the birds start eating more grain based feed here.

The stock done this last batch was concentrated and a pretty dark amber color when finished...the flavor is phenomenal! 

...and the schmaltz is silky and lovely from these old hens.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 18:53 »
Hi Beekissed

That looks lovely - how will you eat the canned chicken?  Casseroles, or on its own?

What is schmaltz; it's not a term we're familiar with over here.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Beekissed

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 19:52 »
Schmaltz (also spelled schmalz or shmalz) is rendered (clarified) chicken or goose fat used for frying or as a spread on bread in Central European cuisine, and in the United States, particularly identified with Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine. Rendered waterfowl fat is also used in the cuisine of Southwestern France. As an effect of cross-cultural influences of the Jewish Ashkenazi, Polish, and Ukrainian cuisine, it is also popular in Poland and Ukraine, where rendered fats (including lard) are called smalec, with schmaltz derived from geese being popular as gęsi smalec.

We use this canned chicken in any recipe that calls for chicken and most anything I'm just making off the cuff.  Stir fry, soup, stew, pot pie, casseroles, omelettes, salads, Mexican dishes, chili, etc. 

Canning the chicken tenderizes everything and seals in all the fats and flavors found in the meat, so it's more intensely flavorful and moist than the typical stewed or roasted bird. 

The schmaltz, or rendered chicken fat, is used in any recipe needing more flavor, fat and silkiness of texture.   I didn't used to cook with chicken fat many years ago, but after trying it once I can't believe we weren't doing that all along...it imparts a luxurious unctuousness to any dish. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 22:00 »
That's fascinating, thanks BK  :)

Beekissed

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 01:14 »
Will have done 5 packed qts of meat this batch(no bones in) and most likely 2-3 qts of concentrated stock.  Still have maybe 6 more birds to butcher before the fall chicken harvest is done.  I'll be glad to get that over with and move on to canning some pumpkin, cushaw and butternut. 

Still haven't decided just how I'll can those up but would like to find something to can that utilizes some of this pumpkin with the jalapenos from the last pepper plant...I've found many recipes that combine these two ingredients but I'm also thinking of making up something on my own.  Will also just try to can up some regular puree of pumpkin and squash so that I can utilize it in various recipes such as soups, breads, dips, etc. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 10:35 »
I love looking at your shelves of goodies beekissed. Mine are much more modest for sure!

I have two sets of three shelves and a small cupboard in the garage, where the jars or preserves, sauces, dried beans etc and bottles go. Potatoes are in sacks under the counter top, wrapped in thick cloth for insulation stood on thick cardboard so they are not in contact with the concrete floor. Marrows are on the counter top but will come inside if freezing weather threatens. Onions and shallots are in single layers in stacked trays. Beetroot and carrots are in boxes of compost

The fridge in the garage acts as an apple store, and anything that may not last unless chillies, like pesto and peppers & tomatoes in oil.

Squashes are along the top of the bookcase upstairs, although there are not many this year, with pears waiting to ripen.

And then there is the freezer of course; French beans, runner beans, calabrese, broccoli, peas, redcurrants (waiting for sauce to be made) fruit pie fillings, apple slices.. and so on.

Drying/dried chillies are hanging up in the kitchen, dried herbs & spices are in jars in a kitchen cupboard.

Lovely to look round and see the results of our labour all around us, ready to eat

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Beekissed

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 19:27 »
I bet that makes for a lovely, aromatic home!!!  It sounds like you've gotten real good at utilizing all spaces in the home.  I struggle for that here too, as this is not a large home and one large part of it stays WAY too warm in the winter time to store anything there. 

I'm currently, as I type, in the middle of cleaning out this pantry/mud room where my canned goods are stored, just trying to clear more space for storing things properly.  I'm running out of room on my canning shelves right now, so cleaning this out is imperative if I'm going to fit those last few jars of the season in there. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 21:31 »
... trying to clear more space for storing things properly.  I'm running out of room ...

I thought we all knew that there will never be enough space for storing the harvest!!!  ;) :lol: 8)

Beekissed

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 01:27 »
That's when you know how blessed you are, huh?   :)  I've even got canning jars of food under my bed!   :lol:

Was looking at what's on the shelf right now and I'm mighty pleased with the good variety this year.  I tried to confine my canning to only those things we eat the most frequently and also tried to conserve jar and shelf space by processing more on the front end like deboning the meats before canning and also condensing the stock more. 

Found some recipes for jalapenos and pumpkin and would like to try canning some jalapeno pumpkin spread/butter and also some pumpkin jalapeno soups, salsas and dips.  That's the two things from the garden I've still yet to can and I can't imagine we'll use too much pumpkin pie mix, though I will can some jars of pumpkin and squash puree so I can use them in breads and such later on. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 11:00 »
Aha! Pumpkin in bread. Now that's a good idea.  I am a newly resuscitated baker, with hand made with fresh yeast rather than machine and quick acting dried yeast and have had some really good results. When (as I do) need to ensure I don't over eat and have  a good balance of carbs, having decent bread has suddenly become a "must" in our lives.

Pumpkin bread sounds aa really good one to try, so thank you for the inspiration Beekissed 😀

Beekissed

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 01:24 »

clip
Fall Canning Season

Started by LotuSeed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 05:55
by tosca100
question
Canning jars for Tomotoes (steam canning)

Started by seascape on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 09:38
by Patricia
xx
Re-jarring, can I do it?

Started by jennypike on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 23:16
by Trillium
xx
Another jam question (sorry!) Jarring

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 10:53
by catllar

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.