ideal family dog breeds...

• 44 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Re: ideal family dog breeds...
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2015, 13:17 »
Haha! Yes! Mine hated water as a pup, would go out of his way to avoid a puddle. Now there's no keeping him out  :nowink: I just think they're the most adorable, crazy breed...just such a shame they have relatively short lives  :(
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

Welsh Merf

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2015, 18:45 »
You say that you're leaning towards a Springer spaniel, which is fair enough - lovely dogs. But have you ever thought about the slightly smaller Cocker spaniel?

Just a thought.
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

oakridge

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 09:06 »
Of the four Flatcoats we have had the first two came as pups, were extremely active and died at 10 and 12 of cancer, Seve, a rescue was so laid back he lived to thirteen, Hugo is coming up four and has two speeds, zonked out and let's break the speed limit.  They are all extremely good at removing ice creams from the hands of toddlers and are better goalies than most adults.

Malcolm

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 09:42 »
The only one I have had dealings with was a pup on a house sit along with a retriever of the same age. They were new to the family and they hadn't bargained on being away so soon, but the flatcoat was house trained within two days, the other was still struggling ten days later. She made a big impression on me altogether, a lovely animal. Active, yes, but easily trained. I did think of having one once, but after hearing of health problems settled on a rescue lab also known for health problems. (!) But what a brilliant choice. My sister's lab, who is staying here at the moment, is not the nicest dog, very large (as in tall) despite a small mother, aggressive towards other animals (had a go at all my dog/cat family, despite my gentle lab being rather frail) and not very welcoming of visitors, not very lab-like

The point of this is, you should choose for temperament rather than breed, and a size to suit you and your family

oakridge

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2015, 09:58 »
We do have a great advantage with big, active dogs in that there is 250 acres of open woodland at the top of the garden and I have 1.25 acres of this as my 'yard' where I have the fruit and vegetables etc.  So there is plenty of play area.

When we had Ben and Willie, the first two Flatcoats along with Sheba, the Belgian Shepherd, I used to reckon that walking in the woods at night was like being on a battleship because Ben and Willie would alert me to anybody within 200 yards but Sheba would not respond until they were within 50 yards.  Sheba was very fast indeed and once gave a fox a terrible fright all but catching it but once anything was further than 25 yards away she considered them no longer a danger and left them.  Sheba, another rescue, had a very strong personality and had 'the look' and came with a 'not recommended for beginners' label although she turned out to be very biddable.  Once the boar managed to get out of the field but Sheba, with no training, went ahead and turned him into the field.  We were very impressed..

Malcolm

P.S. I could go on and on with animal stories.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 22:37 »
We signed up with a few rescue centers to let them know we would be looking for a new pal. We never bargained on coming away with a dog so soon! But our newest family member 'Bob the dog' (2 year old collie cross) has been with us just over 3 weeks, he has settled in beautifully, was house trained in just over a week and is now walking/running off lead.  :D

tosca100

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 02:44 »
That's great news.  ;) But for some reason I can't see the pics.....you have taken pics haven't you? :lol:

Aled

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 13:50 »
Nice one Jak, that's great news. Now how can I convince my wife we need a dog..... :unsure:
Cheers
Aled

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2015, 12:00 »
Here's Bob.  :D

tosca100

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 13:44 »
Awww lovely. Love those generous ears! :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2015, 11:56 »
Haha, he really is 90% ears, 10% dog . I think his mother thought he'd grow into them.  :lol:

Oliveview

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 13:45 »
Maybe American labs have more hybrid vigor?  Not sure.  But any that I have known~not just my own~have enjoyed good health into old age.  Yes, cancer is often their killer but until then, when given the opportunity to live a healthy life, they stay pretty healthy...and no breed lasts forever.  They all die eventually of one thing or another.  I wouldn't advocate anyone keep them in the home all the time if they want any breed to be a healthy dog, as a house is not a natural habitat for any dog.   They were created for outdoor living...plenty of exercise, things to chew upon that are more appropriate then furniture and rugs, and the ability to regulate their own digestive systems by consuming things in nature that help with that.
We have 6  dogs, all from rescue groups-  starting with a JR Cross, a mutt (born in the olive groves) a pure Lab, a small terrier type, a shaggy terrier type and then a Podenco Maneto.  All are good dogs-  we have fostered many dogs over the past 2 years, Charlie our Lab has been adored by them all, except one dog,  a Teckel- he hated Charlie and would attack at every chance, in the end one day Charlie fought back-  Charlie was terrified of Chechu.  We had to keep Chechu caged until he went to his forever home.  Charlie has had ´tummy troubles´ ever since we had him and chewed one leg badly-  for the past 2 months I have been cooking his food, chicken, potato, carrot then added pasta and when served a couple of large tinned sardines- straight away his runny poo cleared up and now his chewed legs are all but better.  All 6 are good dogs,  maybe it is better to get a dog that has been in foster care for a rescue group- then you know within reason, how that dog is in a family situation. 

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2015, 13:56 »
Are you sure Bob isn´t part Spanish Podence with those ears?  That is the trademark of the Podence, huge ears.  We are fostering a Ibizan Podenco at the moment, she is taller than our Labrador, and he is tall.  We have the smallest of the Podenco type too, a Manuto.

Hopefully here is a link to the Podenco dogs.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBT7Q8YXVWOnQA57VXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0bGdlM3J0BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjEyNTNfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=spanish+podenco&fr=mcafee&fr2=piv-web#id=14&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.craigmcginty.com%2F.a%2F6a00d8341c7e8653ef01127910a49828a4-800wi&action=click

Pamela

PS Well done adopting!!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 20:52 »
Wow, he could be couldn't he? Bob certainly has the ears, similar shaped face and slender build but with the collie tail and shaggy scruff round his neck.

michaalf

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 00:06 »
I had a Beagle for years, he was awesome with kids, they love to be at the heart of the family. They are very loving and loyal dogs, quite active, very intelligent, easy to train dogs and I would have one again in a heart beat. If I was to say anything negative about them, I would say they do much better on a lead than off, in my opinion all dogs should be kept on a lead when out walking, although I have known some Beagles to walk off lead quite well. Great size and very good looking too!You can adopt ex Lab testing Beagles too. Whatever breed you choose I wish you all the best :)

Ok silly me, just noticed you have already adopted Bob, but will leave my comment in case it helps another who is looking for a dog. Your new family member looks very sweet, I hope he gives you a lifetime of love and fun x
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 00:11 by michaalf »

xx
New Addition to the family

Started by titch on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 17:52
by Jellyhead
xx
Surprise family :)

Started by Eumaeus on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 15:20
by Eumaeus
xx
Our new family member

Started by bramford on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 16:58
by GTFC197
xx
Hawkins Family Update.

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 18:04
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 37 queries.