Damson vodka...

• 11 Replies

Growster...

Damson vodka...
« on: September 16, 2015, 12:32 »
Has anyone tried to make this without any sugar?

We've been offered a big bag of damsons, and would like to get some spirit moving for December if possible...

Any ideas would be welcome!

Lardman

Re: Damson vodka...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 13:00 »

Yep, it's fine but I don't add much sugar normally anyway. It changes the drink from a liquor into a spirit and it will probably need a mixer rather than drinking neat.

I found it best to just put a bit of sugar in to take the sharpness away.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 13:53 »

Yep, it's fine but I don't add much sugar normally anyway. It changes the drink from a liquor into a spirit and it will probably need a mixer rather than drinking neat.

I found it best to just put a bit of sugar in to take the sharpness away.

There are a few diabetic issues here, Lards, so sugar is verboten!

I really don't see why sugar needs to be added as there is the natural fruit sugar to consider, and anyway, we'll not be drinking pints of the stuff...

Thanks for your reply anyway!

;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 15:30 »
Doesn't the juice from the fruit dilute the alcohol, so you add sugar to make more alcohol with the yeast on the fruit. I just vaguely remember something along those lines...........

:wacko:

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 17:42 »
Doesn't the juice from the fruit dilute the alcohol, so you add sugar to make more alcohol with the yeast on the fruit. I just vaguely remember something along those lines...........

:wacko:

I think that is a myth, if you put a wild yeast in 40% Alchohol it dies !
Even the super duper modern wine yeasts do not survive much above 20% ABV

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 17:49 »
I thought that you just needed to steep the damsons in the vodka - or gin, and leave it for a few months for it to meld.

At this time of year, I always have handy, a five gallon clear plastic box with an airtight lid, into which any 'spare' fruit goes with some sugar. So far, it has had all the blackcurrant pulp from juicing, ditto apples, some blackberries and some old withered blueberries, some peaches which were on their way out, and it's still bubbling away merrily...

Goodness knows what it will taste of, but with all that, it should't be too bad after a few months!

Hic...

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 18:15 »
I thought that you just needed to steep the damsons in the vodka - or gin, and leave it for a few months for it to meld.

At this time of year, I always have handy, a five gallon clear plastic box with an airtight lid, into which any 'spare' fruit goes with some sugar. So far, it has had all the blackcurrant pulp from juicing, ditto apples, some blackberries and some old withered blueberries, some peaches which were on their way out, and it's still bubbling away merrily...

Goodness knows what it will taste of, but with all that, it should't be too bad after a few months!

Hic...

Summer wine is what my friends father called it ! It was lovely !
I am very wary of using blackcurrant now as it tends to overwhelm all other flavours .
Alcoholic Ribena is not top of my tipple list . :)

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 19:07 »
I think that is a myth, if you put a wild yeast in 40% Alchohol it dies !

That was my understanding too  ;)

Your damsons will be fine Growster just steeped in whatever you like (I've done vodka and gin and really didn't notice any difference to the finished product), it may still be a little young at winter festival time but a slosh of low-cal tonic the one with sweetener not sugar and it will make a nice tall drink, just lacking the warming nature of the syrupy version.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 20:23 »
I did some in vodka  and some in gin last year with very little sugar and they were fine.

I liked the gin best with a tablespoon of juniper berries slung in.

If sugar is verboten have you considered steeping the damsons in your alcohol and then adding some stevia to sweeten.  I am using this quite a lot recently.

Although I won't be able to use that when I knock up my crème de cacoa this week.

Also I think  the absolute vodkas are made without sugar so you will be fine not using sugar.

Steveharford

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 21:02 »
We have only just racked off ours from last year. Tastes great. Just in time to re stack the Demijohns with the next crop.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 05:37 »
Thanks All, we're off to Twongos today, and I dare say a litre of good cheapo vodka will be in the boot before we get home...

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 21:01 »
The container is now full to the brim, with all that fruit, plus the pulp from all the apples we've been juicing...

I can just get the lid on and am wondering how on earth I'm going to get it all into some sort of order to rack it and finish it all off...

But I will survive..;0)

xx
Damson vodka or gin

Started by Helenaj on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2011, 18:55
by mike1987
xx
Rhubarb Vodka

Started by Riala on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 00:09
by pushrod
xx
fruity vodka

Started by peggygate on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 22:41
by operabunny
xx
raspberry vodka

Started by snow white on Homebrew

21 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 15:56
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 36 queries.